Chapter 21

Soon, the fajitas were ready, and we served them.

Walking over to the table, the others came through from the other room.

A man came through as well.

He looked about 35 and had thick, mouse coloured hair.

He looked around the table with a grin, and by the looks of respect sported by the kids, I guessed this was the man in charge of the home.

"Hello kids! Have you seen my..."

He noticed me at that point.

"Hello there! Not meaning to sound rude, or anything, but who are you?"

Ben walked over and sat next to me.

"This is Emma, Matt. I invited her over," he reached over and grabbed a wrap for both of us, before passing me the filling.

"That's fine, but I just need you to come and fill in a visitor's form, Emma," he said smiling at me.

I followed him out of the room, hearing and outburst of noise the moment I was out of sight.

"So you're friends with Ben? He's a lovely lad." he said smiling as we walked to the office.

Opening the door for me, he walked over to a filing cabinet and pulled out a piece of paper.

"If you could just fill that in quickly," he said smiling. I started to write, quickly filling in the different boxes.

"Also, Emma, could I ask how you got you bruises?"

I looked down at the floor.

"Bullies," I said, almost in a whisper.

"School or home?" he asked, echoing the earlier question.

"Both," I replied, equally echoing my previous answer.

Five minutes and one completed form later, I walked back into the kitchen.

I could hear my name being brought up quite a lot.

It took all my might to walk back into the room.

The conversation changed rapidly as soon as they noticed I had re-entered the room, but for once, I didn't mind that they were talking about me.

I felt at home here.

More at home than I had ever felt with my dad.