Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I sat daydreaming in Spanish, reliving every single moment of my first kiss.

It wasn't just my first kiss with a boy, it was my first ever kiss.

My dad had never kissed me and my mum hadn't lived long enough.

It meant a lot to me.

"Emma, you look distracted! You are usually so attentive! What is wrong?"

I snapped out of my daydream and looked up at my teacher, before quickly answering, "no se distraiga, señora, sólo en dolor. Me caí por las escaleras y golpeado a mí mismo por todas partes. Que duele, pero estoy bien." (I'm not distracted miss, I'm only in pain. I fell down the stairs and hurt most of my body. It hurts but fine)

She looked at me, concern spread on her face, but decided not to act. Instead she addressed the whole class.

"Right, the preterite tense!"

Of course, I wasn't going to tell her what really happened. That would be suicide.

Half an hour later, the bell rang for the end of day.

Ben was waiting for me outside and he started to walk with me out of the school and up the long hill towards my house, supporting my battered body as we went.

When we got half way up, we rested on a wall, as it was taking every ounce of strength in me to stop myself from crying out in pain.

The whole walk up so far, I had been thinking about how I could phrase it, how I could tell him how I felt.

I had to get it right.

Deciding on what I was going to say, I opened my mouth slowly, but I was beaten to it.

"Emma," he said softly. "I want to talk to you about something. You've told me a lot about yourself, but I haven't told you much about me. I think it's time I did."

I smiled at him, putting my topic on hold.

"You can trust me," I said quietly.

"I know," he replied, taking my hand gently and squeezing it softly.

With a deep breath, casting his eyes to the floor, he began.