"Friends" Chapter 20

VALERIE'S POV

I ran as fast as I could until my body couldn't take it anymore.

I just couldn't catch my breath and so many tears began running down my cheeks. People walking past me looked at me like I was crazy.

I sat down in the middle of the New York dirty sidewalk and put my face in my hands.

It's crazy how I can be in a city with 8 million people and somehow feel so alone.

I had been running for so long that I didn't hear Jimmy's voice following me anymore, but I could still hear him in my head.

"I can't stop thinking about her...... She's so awesome...."

I cried harder and harder as I replayed it in my head.

How could he have met a girl already? Did he not love me anymore? But I still loved him. I wanted him. This is so unfair. I have never felt so much pain in such a short amount of time, before. I know that I'm his best friend and I should be happy for him but I can't be...

I eventually looked up and there was an older woman looking down at me.

"Are you alright, there?"

"Umm... Not really." I carefully stood up and wiped some of the many tears away from my cheeks.

"Okay, Well.. Just know that all things get better, Okay?" She gave me a sympathetic smile slowly walked away. I began to walk back to my apartment.

I finally turned the corner onto my street and I saw Jimmy sitting on my curb, the home of so many past memories for us.

I wanted to turn around and run the other way but before I could, he looked up and saw me.

I felt like I couldn't lift my feet up. I was stuck. As I slowly walked over to him I saw that he was sweaty and his hair was a mess. He must have run here.

I finally got closer to him and all I wanted was to avoid him and walk into my home.

"Val,"

"Jimmy... Right now really isn't a good time." I tried to walk around him but he stood in my way.

"Can you at least tell me what the hell happened back there?"

I couldn't look up to him. I knew if I did, I would lose it again and I just couldn't.

"No... I can't..." I suddenly heard people walk up next to us.

"Oh my gosh, you're Jimmy Fallon, right?"

I looked over to the two girls. One talking had braces and the other one looked shy and insecure.

"Bye, Jimmy." I pushed him out of the way and walked up to my door.

I walked in to my hallway and I heard someone walk in the door behind me.

"VALERIE!" I turned around and Jimmy was running down the hall.

"Jesus, go away!"

"Not Jesus, Jimmy! It's Jimmy!" He chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

I tried to outrun him up the stairs but I immediately felt him grab my elbow.

"What the hell do you want?!" I yanked my elbow out of his grip and faced him. He was a few steps down from me and so I looked down at him.

"I'm just really confused! Please tell me what's going on in that head of yours..."

"Gosh... I can't. Not now."

"Why not?" He stepped another step up.

"I just can't..."