"Friends" Chapter 38

JIMMY'S POV

I woke up the next morning and jumped out of bed. I checked my phone for any messages. I had a few, but none of them were from Val. I walked over to the window and looked down to the street. It was snowing outside and the cars were driving slower than usual.

Today was going to be a good day. I was going to tell her how I felt tonight. I couldn't wait.

Last night, I was so close to telling her but then we got interrupted. I know Tina told me not to say or do anything but I couldn't help it. Being with her, walking with her, I just felt so happy and so good and I couldn't resist myself. I really thought about it last night and I understand why Tina, Justin and Jess are all cautious with the entire situation... I understand it. I just feel like life is too short not to take risks. I've faced death, twice, and I realized that I couldn't waste any time. If you have feelings for someone, tell them. We have so much history together... I can't help it.

I walked away from the window and got into the shower. It was about nine in the morning, which was the usual time for me to get up. I really just wanted to text Val and just talk to her. Maybe later, right now is too soon. After my long shower, I threw on one of my plaid shirts, a casual tie, some pants, matching socks and some shoes. I checked my phone again for any messages, nothing. I felt disappointed but I didn't really know why. I shoved my phone into my pocket and smoothed out my somewhat damp hair. I grabbed one of my grandpa cardigans and my briefcase before leaving my room.

I walked into the kitchen and there was no one there, I guess Jess and Justin were still asleep. I began to make my bulletproof coffee, which I have become addicted to, and I popped a piece of whole wheat bread in the toaster. I leaned on the counter and fished in my pocket for my phone. I pulled it out and went to text Val.

Hey, good morning! How does it feel waking up in your city again? I hope great. Have you looked outside? If not, do it. It's beautiful.

Just like you.

I deleted those last three words and sent it.

I nervously tapped on the counter and stared at my phone, waiting for a response. Why was I acting like a needy chick? I took a deep breath and walked over to the fridge. I wasn't hungry, I just needed some cold air. God, it was hot in here. I heard the toaster go off and I closed the fridge. I heard footsteps from the living room and I turned around. I saw Justin walking towards me in some boxers.

"Good morning, man!" Justin walked around me and opened the fridge. He pulled out a beer and screwed off the lid.

"Really, dude?" I pointed at the bottle in his hand and he took a large gulp.

"Hey, I'm not the recovering alcoholic here..." He chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not a recovering alcoh... Never mind." I laughed along with him and put the hot piece of toast on a paper towel. "Oh, by the way. I'm bringing someone to dinner tonight. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, of course it is! Valerie?"

"Yeah, how did you know?" I poured the blended coffee into a to go cup and put on the lid.

"I can tell, dude you've just been glowing for a few days. You're happy. It's nice to see." He smiled at me. "Just be careful with her, okay? I know Jessica and I already told you, but still. You're going in some hot waters when it comes to married women. Especially ones that you're in love with." He set his bottle down on the counter and pulled out the Advil container. He popped two into his mouth and washed it down with some beer.

"I'm not in love with her... I just have feelings for her, two completely different things, man. And by the way, is that really a good idea?" I pointed at the pills and took a bite of the plain toast.