"Friends" Chapter 47

JIMMY'S POV

I angrily threw my ties into the cardboard box. I really couldn't believe Valerie... All the sudden she doesn't know what she wants? I mean, I get that she is upset about ending her marriage but now she can't decide?

I have spent all day thinking about Val and it's about 9:00 at night, now. I just finished packing up my room and the closet that Jess and Justin let me borrow for the past few weeks. I was blasting Tove Lo's song 'Habits' while I finished up packing.

"You're gone and I gotta stay

High all the time

To keep you off my mind

Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

High all the time

To keep you off my mind

Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

Spend my days locked in a haze

Trying to forget you babe

I fall back down

Gotta stay high all my life

To forget I'm missing you

Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh"

The song ended and I felt like I just wanted to break down and cry. My thoughts were interrupted by two knocks on the door.

"Hey Jim! We have a little something for you, so whenever you're finished, just come out here!" I set my boxes down and opened the door to see Jessica standing there. "Hi! Come on! We have something for you..." She grabbed me by the sleeve of my shirt and pulled me into the living room. To my surprise, I saw Miles, Higgins, Justin, Gerard, Nancy and my parents all standing in the living room.

"Surprise!!!" My dad yelled. I laughed and saw that they were all standing around a cake with candles on it.

"You guys, my birthday was months ago..." I chuckled and made my way over to them.

"Yeah, man. We know. Just a little 'congratulations' cake for you." Justin smiled and patted me on my arm.

"Congratulations for what?" I looked around to all of them.

"Pulling through, honey." My mom put her hand on my cheek and I could see she had tears in her eyes.

"Aw," I began to get all mushy. "You guys..." I nervously laughed and Nancy walked over to me. I looked into her loving blue eyes and she winked at me.

"Jim, blow out your candles." She patted me on my back and I looked down to the cake. I felt everyone's eyes on me as I looked down to the small flames that outlined the cake.

"Make a wish." I heard Justin sing. We all laughed and I focused back on the cake.

-I just want to be happy.- I thought to myself.

I leaned down and blew them out. I heard everyone clap and cheer and I turned around and smiled at all of them. I smiled at Higgins and gave Gerard a hug. I saw Justin go into the kitchen and return, moments later, with two beers. He handed one to me.

"Here you go, man. You deserve it." He handed me the cool bottle and I looked down at it.

"No, I'm good." I pushed it away from me.

"You sure? It's fine, man. You've done well... You deserve it!"

"Thanks, man... But I don't need it." I smiled at him and he nodded his head.

"Well, then... Look who's growin' up." He chuckled and handed it to my dad.

"Here you go, Sir!"