chapter fifteen

•edited

"I know I'd go back to you."

~~~

Selena.

Previously

//

A ring sounds off in the car, muffled in Selena's hoodie pocket. She stirs awake and connects the phone to the Bluetooth on the car, hitting answer.

"Hello?"

"Selena?" A small voice speaks over the line. Gentle with her tone, almost in awe to hear Selena.

"Hey Taylor what's up?"

"Erm, Selena where are you?"

She turns to look at me and I shake my head, knowing she wants to tell but I don't know who to trust with this.

"Just getting back from a business trip with my dad. What's wrong Tay?" Selena adjusts herself in the chair to read her voice better.

"So I was right, you didn't hear and you clearly weren't on a trip with your dad." Taylor chokes on her voice, raising an eyebrow on Selena's face.

She gives me a side eye before responding. "What are you talking about Taylor?"

"Selena I can cover for you if the cops come to you and I don't know, interrogate you if you were with that teacher guy-."

"Taylor, what the hell are you talking about?"

"Your dad Selena." She paused. Selena tensed at the mention, her eyes engulfed in fear at the drop of his name.

"He was killed."

//

back to reality

White noise blurred through my senses. I wasn't in tears to the news, I was quiet. Silence engulfed me as my thoughts deafened me. My breath was heavy. My heart didn't stop, nor did I feel like a great loss was due.

The man who used to welcome me home everyday from school with a warm hug until the night where whiskey drowned the sorrows my mothers absence filled and aggression walked in.

He beat me to my bones, watches me as I soaked in my own blood on the kitchen floors since I was a little girl. His little girl.

The clock reads 7:28am and we arrived home a few hours ago. Justin's body was hidden under the sheets, fast asleep with his mind in the clouds.

He sat with me for the first hours of the news, holding me without a need to speak. He drifted off from the long day, knowing he needed the sleep as school starts back up later today.

I couldn't just sit in the bed for much longer with the itch of the future ticking away at my sanity. Removing my hair from its ponytail, I exit the bedroom and wander the apartment.

I knew nothing about the cause of death but I didn't care, my father was murdered by another or the bottle and pills he enjoyed tampering with. I knew one thing though, the police are going to be searching for me and for Max, a brother I haven't heard from in months.

I scroll through my phone, swiping past the photo of Justin and myself that twitched a smile to my lips.

My thumb ran through names, slowly clicking down on Max's name and held the phone to my ear. A couple rings echoed the other line, not expecting an answer due to the time and the fact we stopped all forms of communication two months ago.