Aria hates humans.

It was a very nice day, so Sonic and Shadow had decided to take Aria out. As the two hedgehogs passed the busy road, Sonic stopped. Aria had started to point and whine at an ice cream truck. The tinkling music attracted her, as well as the bright colors. Ria looked at her parents.

"Dada? Ice cweam?" She widened her beautiful ruby eyes, and pouted.

"Alright, Ria." Smiling softly, Shadow was about to lift her into his arms, when Sonic slapped him.

"Shadow!" The blue hedgehog scolded. "You spoil her!"

Ignoring him, Shadow scooped Aria into his arms, and sped over to the truck.

A slightly miffed blue blur followed him, all the while thinking: She's got him wrapped around her little finger...

When Sonic skidded to a stop, the ebony hedgehog was already ordering.

"Ria, what kind of ice cream do you want?"

The blue striped hedgehog giggled, pointing at the strawberry. She tried pronouncing it. "Stwabewwy!"

The driver, a burly green Labrador, chuckled. "You got it, girly! One strawberry cone coming right up!"

Shadow just nodded. "Thank you."

Moments later, a gust of wind picked up Aria, and blew her towards Sonic. Catching her smoothly, he grinned. "Sonic wind, baby!"

Shaking his head, Shadow just grinned. "You're such an idiot."

The driver reappeared with a large cone in hand.

"Sonic? SONIC!" Shadow teleported, and returned with Aria. An indignant hey! was heard from Sonic.

The driver winked at Aria, who in turn clapped. "M'lady, here's your ice cream!"

Her tiny hands fumbling a bit, she almost dropped the cone. Catching it just in time, Shadow nodded curtly to the driver, grabbed Sonic's hand, and teleported away.

When both hedgehogs got to a bench, the sweet treat was starting to melt. Eating the cone messily, Aria grinned through a faceful of ice cream. Doubling over, Sonic laughed until he noticed someone coming over. A sudden change in demeanor fell over Ria, and she started screaming.

A slim woman, with brown hair and green eyes, had come over to them, admiring Aria's quills. The part that uneased them the most, though, was the fact that she was human.

"Aww, your little girl is beautiful! Can I hug her?" said the woman, trying to calm her down.

Screaming even louder, Aria buried her little face into Sonic's chest, whimpering, "Mama! Mama!"

Shadow stood over them, guarding from any threat. "Who are you?"

Looking a bit hurt, she stepped back. "I'm Alexis. I just thought she was very pretty."

"Leave!"

Scurrying away, the lady cast a frightened look at the now glowing Shadow, and retreated into the safety of her car.

Sonic was stroking the little girl's ears, cooing softly. "Ria, she's gone now. You're safe."

Aria looked up. Her mouth was sealed into a trembling line, and tears were still welling up in her eyes.

"B-Bad. Bad." She muttered. Sonic leaned in, but all he could her from her was the single word: Bad.