𝟬𝟰. the royal court

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR . THE ROYAL COURT
ARC ONE, FINALE

▅▅▅

- half a year time skip -

SUNDOWN MEANT ONLY an hour is left before Artemis would meet his uncle and face trial. She waited on the bridge of the royal castle's garden, her fingers clenching the warped oak railing she sat on, nervously trying to collect her thoughts so her speech may appease them.

"I'm sure you'll be fine." Nozel assured her as a moth fluttered in front of his nose which he repelled with his magic.

"If you mean it as 'they will not approve of it' then yes, I will be fine." the tree beside them grew its branches to reach in front of her face with an apple at the end of the bough. Plucking the said fruit, she cocked her head to the side, "William, Yami, you came."

Yami threw a pebble into the brook, sending small droplets onto her brown boots, "Goldie wanted to, I'm just here to mock ya when you fail." both Nozel and William frowned at his indiscreet teasing.

Fuegoleon merely smiled as he jumped onto the bridge railing beside her, "There's no way the magic parliament, and the church could turn you down." he quivered importantly, patting her back as she took a bite of the apple.

"But they're biased!" Artemis cried, " If both the church and the parliament reject me because it does not see me fit as a proper successor of the throne then I'd be aggraviated not because they declined, but because of the stupid succession-male only law." she huffed, crossing both of her arms.

"The title would become extinct unless the succession law is amended. I've read a few books and it clearly states that we are under absolute primogeniture. And you, my lady, are the only one who is blood-related to him." the masked man said, confusing the black-haired mage beside him.

"The hell does that mean?"

"It means that the Royal bloodline of the Kira's and the Clover's would die with the current King." Fuegoleon interjected.

"Surely, with his mentality and a strong belief that only royalty should rise above, the only choice is Artemis. A wise, and worthy successor." William added, his tone filled with certainty and confidence.

Artemis sighed as her presence darkened. Her plans to become a Magic Knight worthy of standing alongside her friends has been stalled by the sudden proposal of his uncle. Such future hovered over her like a bad omen, taunting her with self-doubt and demurral.

"Artemis!" a voice called. All five of them turn their heads to see Julius. The girl went down the bridge immediately and hugged her godfather in a tight embrace.

Julius chuckled seeing how nervous she actually is, "I thought you didn't care much if you were declined?" he asked as she threw a light punch at him on his chest, "After the people showed much of their support to me I simply cannot disappoint them." she replied, breaking the hug and twirling back to where the four are.