When a Stranger Calls

The phone rang in the dead of night. I awoke in a sweat to the sound of it. I stumbled over to the phone across the apartment in only a silk robe. I checked my pocket watch, it read '3:12'. I sighed and grabbed the phone.

"Hello?" I rubbed my dry eyes.

"Burke, I need you at the office stat." A raspy voice demanded.

"Mr. Shelby, it's three in the morning."

"Do you want me to trust you or not?"

"Give me an hour."

"Oh and Burke, it's Tommy."

"Alright Tommy," I slammed the phone. It was gonna be a long day.

I lit a few oil lamps and shuffled through my wardrobe for my tweed coat. I quickly dressed into my baby blue ribbon dress, pinned up my hair, and ran out the door.

I flagged down a cabbie in the dark streets. Thankfully there was one guy out in patrol this hour.

"Pretty late for a ride ma'am." The driver noted.

I gave him the address and didn't say a word for the rest of the ride. This was ridiculous, what could Tommy possibly want at this hour? I filed everything yesterday there was nothing else he needed, I asked him before I left. I don't know what kind of trust I needed to prove to him, but I certainly don't think it's worth getting up this early for.

The cab dropped me off at the curb and I ran into the building. Nobody was on duty, all of the offices were empty. I quietly walked into Tommy's office and knocked on his door. He answered looking more exhausted than I was.

"I'm here," I hugged trying to repin my hair.

"Come in," He walked over to his desk. "Close the door."

"Uh, did I do something sir?"

"Sit," He started lighting a cigarette. I sat at the chair in front of him. "I'm ou know who I am, right?"

"Thomas Shelby, the Labour MP."

"You know what I mean."

"You're The leader of the Peaky Blinders." I mumbled glancing down at my feet.

"I want you to work for me."

"I already work for you."

"I trust you Burke for some odd reason, you don't have anyone you're a runaway. I want you to be a Shelby." He took a swig of his tea that was beside him.

"That's very kind of you, but no offense I don't think it's a good idea if I do. You hired me as your secretary and that's exactly what I'm doing."

"You wanted to work in politics. It's not a job for an honest man. Do you want to see the real side of politics and make some extra money?"

"Tommy, Im not saying I wouldn't want to take you up on your offer." I stood up from the shake and leaned over Tommy's desk for a cigarette. "I'm saying it's a bad idea if you do, I'm warning you."

"I promise you Mamie, we can protect you from your husband and father if there needs be." He help light my cigarette.

"That's not it." I crossed my arms.

"Who are you Mamie Burke?"

"I told you, a young girl from Cork." I grabbed my coat that was hanging over there chair and walked out of Tommy's office.

"Hey!" Tommy stood under the door. "Michael likes you, so I have feeling you're already in this family."

"I'm already married Tommy."

"We can fix that. We can also change your identity."

"I've already done that."

I walked out into the hall and down the stairs, saying nothing else to Tommy. Was I wrong to refuse his offer? Maybe he could protect me from them? No, that's completely silly. They'll always be after me especially after what I did. Not even the Peaky Blinders could stop them.

Once I made it to the apartment complex I had an strange feeling there was something waiting for me. There was no way Tommy would let me off that easily, I know how men like him work. In the Hall I saw two figures by my door. I began panicking, my heart beater fast and my hands were getting clammy.

"Miss Burke," a familiar voice said. "We were in the area and thought we'd stop by." It was Polly and another thin woman beside her.

"How wonderful." I smiled.

"This is Ada," Polly introduced.

"It's so nice to meet you, I've heard a lot." Ada shook my hand.

"What were you two doing this early in the morning." I unlocked my door with my shaky hands.

"Oh you know, a nice stroll." Polly said.

"How lovely," I groaned and opened the door. "How does tea sound, ladies?"

"Quite excellent." Ada said. They both sat down at the small table in the middle of the apartment.

"What a quaint place you've got Miss Burke." Polly added.

"Oh yes, it's all I could afford around these parts." I set up the kettle and grabbed three cups.

"It's hard being a single woman in these times, especially one trying to support herself." Ada said.

"How true." I gripped tightly on one of the cups trying to compose myself.

"It's just so hard-"

"Why are you here?" I turned around to face them. "Did Thomas send you?" I sat at the last available chair.

"Mamie, we're only saying us girls have to look out for each other." Polly laid her hand above mine sympathetically.

"Thanks, but I'm fine." I stood up. There was a small pile of mail on the kitchen counter I forgot to shift through last night. I walked over and grabbed the letters.

"Michael has a fancy for you I hear." Ada said.

I ignored them and kept shifting through the mail. There at the bottom read the name I dreaded the most. I quickly ripped open the seal and pulled out the letter. My eyes began to tear up out of fear.

"Are you alright sweetheart?" Polly unexpectedly placed her hand on my shoulder. I tore the letter in half then turned around towards her.

"Being a secretary alone in the city is hard, but I'm willing to work for it. I absolutely fine, I promise. My living may be modest, but I did it all by myself." I hid the torn letter behind me.

"Well we'll always be here if you need us. Sorry to cut this short but Ada and I should really be going." Polly walked over to her chair to grab her coat and fur scarf.

"It's been a pleasure." I opened the front door for them. Polly leaned over to me as Ada left down the hall.

"Thomas is softer than I am, he worries. If you ever change your mind, give us a call."

"Thanks, but I'm good." I shut the door behind her.

I looked down at the letter still in my right hand. I slowly fell to the floor. I didn't have much time...