Doubletake

We arrived to Tommy's half past twelve. The others had already hustled inside when Tommy quickly drove his car around the back. He turned off the engine then came over to my side to open the door. He strenuously took my left arm and pulled me out. He guided me through the back and immediately locked the door. The kitchen's lamps had been blown out, leaving the dead of dark filling it. Tommy took a few seconds to take a breather while leaning his back against the white door.

"Tommy, what's happening?" I worriedly clenched my hands around the wooden counter top. Tommy straightened his tie. He walked with uneasiness towards me.

"I got a tip from someone that Al was docking by the pier." Tommy's hands rubbed off loose rain drops that were still attached to my face. His eyes stared into mine.

"So what? We took care of it last time, we can do it again."

"It's not like that, love." His eyes now lingered around the room but his hand stayed on my cheek. "There's a hit on you."

The news left me frozen. A hit, on me? From who? Al never wanted me dead, just his again. Had to be good enough of a reward to be able to get Al back out here.

"What the fuck do you mean a hit, Tommy?" I slapped his hand off of me.

"It's more of a dead or alive thing." His hand hovered back around my cheek. I swatted him off again.

"Al never wanted me dead Tommy!"

"Shush, it's not from Al. It's actually from two different people." Tommy confessed reluctantly.

"Two fucking people?!" I started passing around the kitchen on the verge of breaking down. Tommy stood in front of my path to stop me.

"There's evidence that you murdered someone in Chicago."

"Evidence?" I laughed. "Do I get a fucking break?"

"Mel, please." Tommy firmly grabbed my face with both hands. "Did ya?"

"Did I what, murder someone?" My breathing got heavier and more rapid. It felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. "Why do you care?"

"Mel, you can tell me anything. I'm trying to help you."

"You want the money dontcha?" I ripped his hands off of me and backed away. My mouth began to tremble. "You're gonna give me to him, that's why you took me here?"

"No, don't be fucking stupid!" Tommy stepped closer. I backed into the stove.

"He's on his way ain't he?" I pushed Tommy by his chest.

"Are you historical?" Tommy walked back. I shoved him away again making him vigorously grab ahold of my hands.

"Why would you do this Tommy?!" I shrieked as bundles of tears that once hung around my eye lids fell at once.

"A lord Sedrick has filed a missing persons report." Tommy let go of my hands. I paused my shrieking and tried to calculate the situation.

"I'll start packing my things, Al doesn't like me waiting." I tried walking passed Tommy but he put his arm across my chest.

"You're not going to Chicago."

"Oh my god, Sedrick's reward is greater isn't it?" I gulped.

"For fuckssake Melvina!" Tommy pulled me against his chest. "I'm not giving you to any of them, you hear me?" My head laid against his heart.

"Where's Michael?"

"Alfie is looking for you."

"Where's Michael?" I lifted my head from his chest. He avoided my eye contact.

"He's debating a little, it's nothing to worry about though."

"Debating!" I jumped out of Tommy's arms. "Nothing to worry about?"

"He doesn't have a clear head Mel, that's all."

"A clear head?" I snatched the porcelain dishes hanging on the drying rack and smashed them on the ground.

"Mel, Polly is speaking to him momentarily, stop." Tommy restricted me from behind. I fell limp into his arms crying uncontrollably. Tommy and I fell to the floor around the broken porcelain.

"That's why he's not here." I managed to say under my tears.

"He doesn't know you're with us." Tommy's arms tightened more securely around my waist. I leaned back against his chest in a slight relief.

"Men are bastards!" I ripped Michael's engagement ring from around my finger and threw it against some cabinets.

"Listen to me!" Tommy forced my head to face his. "You were never his to begin with. I should've never condoned this!"

"What do you mean?"

"You're mine Mel. You were never his girl. I think you already knew that though." His lips hastily grazed my left shoulder. While his hand still forcefully held my face closer to his he gently kissed up my neck.

"I hate you!" I cried trying to escape from his grasp. Tommy held me harder. "I hate you!" I kicked him off of me and slowly crawled across the cool tile flooring.

"Mel, no!" Tommy reached around me. "Now listen to me, I know you're a little drunk right now. But you need to get married soon in order for you not to get deported."

"I hate all of you!" I kicked Tommy in the torso. He didn't let go.

"Love," Tommy swiftly picked me off of the floor and back into his warm lap. He wrapped his sweaty hands around my shoulders. "Marry me, alright? I want you to marry me."

"No you don't, you just want what you can't have!"

"I get everything I want!" He shouted taking me off guard. I wiped the tears off of my face. "We'll get you a new ring, dress, anything. I'll marry you as soon as tomorrow."

"Don't be a fool."

"I'll well be whatever I want." Tommy's hands ventured up my neck. "And if I'm fool for wanting you, then I'm a fool."

"For better and for worst?"

"Yes, baby."

Tommy plunged in for a kiss. His hands roamed down my spine as our lips hurriedly searches each other's. My body became less tense at the strange sense of relief. No more sneaking around. I was going to be Mrs. Thomas Shelby by next morning. I felt safe for those few moments as I was cloaked in his arms. Nothing lasts forever though.

Tommy pulled away. Footsteps were coming from outside of the double doors. Tommy positioned himself in front of me. The door flew open, Michael stoop in a rain drenched coat. Polly stood behind him.

"What's going on?" Michael hesitated.

"I was telling Mel about the situation and she started..." Tommy paused to look back at me. "She's fine now."

"Bloody hell," Michael rushed to my side. Tommy backed away grudgingly. Michael patiently lifted me to my feet and hugged me while cradling my head. "Are you okay?"

"Um, yes I believe so."

"Polly will take you to the study. Everybody is waiting in there." Michael gracefully kissed the top of my forehead. "I'll see you in a bit darling."

Polly guided me out of the kitchen through the double doors. As she shut them I briefly heard Michael whisper to Tommy. "I told you to stay away." Thats when I knew that'll be the closest I'll ever be to Tommy again. I had duties else where. Polly dragged me to that study. Ada and the girls cheerfully hugged me. At this point I didn't even care if Alfie or Al got ahold of me. I'd be dead either way. Either living in a fake sense of happiness as Michael's wife or dead by the hands of Al. Nothing truly mattered anymore...