First Glance

I remember the first time I laid eyes on Thomas Shelby back last winter. I was on a large cruise ship with Al. He didn't tell me much about what was happening this weekend only that there might be a deal being made. He usually kept me in the loop on most things, I wasn't just a mistress to him. I was his partner and that's why I wasn't always trusted. I wouldn't have trusted myself either. I was already married and having an affair with one of the biggest mob bosses in Chicago.

I stepped outside to grab Al and me a drink while he was chatting with a young man in our room. I was pretty tipsy by this point, the boat was such a riot. Everyone there came for a good time and free drinks. So I stumbled out of the room and head to the front of the deck where the bar was. I ordered whiskey for Al and champagne for me. As I waited I was giggling with another young woman beside me about some news headline from today when I saw him. A tall thin man with dark hair and striking blue eyes near the railing of the deck. He held a drink in one hand and spoke with this bearded gentleman. He quickly glanced over at me. It was as though time stopped when Thomas shot a quick look over at me. Everything seemed to slow down. He gave a very brief smirk to acknowledge my presence. I think he knew who I was. At that moment the bartender handed me the drinks. I tilted down my hat to hide myself and then ventured discreetly back to the room. I could still feel his eyes upon me as I walked away.

His footsteps lingered behind my own. I kicked up my pace trying to lose him, this man either wanted something from Al or something worse. I didn't know who he was exactly.

"Miss!" Thomas yelled from behind me.  I stopped in my tracks and turned around still hiding my face.

"Yes?" I whispered.

"You dropped this." Thomas planted my diamond incrusted bracelet into my sweaty palm.

"T-Thank you sir." I nodded then turned back around.

"You know Capone, correct?" He continued. I stopped in my tracks again.

"Who wants to know?"

"Thomas Shelby, The leader of the Peaky Blinders." He crossed his arms.

"I'm sorry to say he's booked for the moment." I kept walking over to our hall. He followed close by.

"I promise you I'm someone he wants to speak to."

"Well is that so Mr. Shelby?" I stopped at the door and turned towards him. "Like I said he's in the middle of something at the moment."

Right then the door flung open. One of Al's men Mickey stood behind me. "Majorie, he's waiting." Mickey glanced over at Thomas who toward over me. "I'll take care of this." He crossed his arms as I slipped behind Mickey to enter the room.

A few moments later Thomas entered as I was jokingly feeding Al my cherries from my glass as I sat tenderly in his lap. When I saw him I jumped out of Al's lap and cowered behind his chair. Al signaled me to stay in the room by grabbing my wrist. I didn't trust this man either. A tall dark man with a thick British accent. What did he need with us? Most of the time I hid my accent from Americans the Irish were looked down upon in these times. I was a woman as it is, with hardly any rights letting out my accent would only make it worse. Al didn't discriminate though, he knew I was special. He treated me as an equal or above most men.

During their discussion I refilled drinks and lit cigarettes for Al to keep him in good spirits. One lousy move and he could blow up. But it seemed like he was enjoying this British man's offer. Anything against the New York Italians spiked his interest.

"What do you think Mr. Capone?" Thomas concluded clasping his hands together.

"I think there's business we need to take care of then." He chuckled taking the cigar out of his mouth. "Majorie, get us more drinks it's time to celebrate." I bowed my head and headed out.

As I shut the door behind me my hands trembled. I knew this mysterious Shelby was up to no good and Capone was all for it. Sometimes his thirst for bloodshed over powered his common sense. It's too late to change his mind now. I walked down the hallway hearing their thunderous laughs from the room. I had to leave...