Diamond In The Rough

I hardly remember the night before. Only the memory of being carried in Tommy's arms comforted me. I didn't know if I would ever feel that pleasure again as I sat alone in the hospital quarters. Thick white bandages wrapped around my naked bosom. My ribs are severally bruised by the sight of it. I sat up in the hospital bed regaining consciousness. The thought of not seeing Tommy when I first woke distressed me. I ripped the Ivy out from my arm and shifted my weight over to the side of the bed. Weakly stumbled to the door and walked through the barren hall.

"Mel!" A voice shouted. The echoing of heavy footsteps ran behind me. I turn around steadily to see Michael, Arthur, Polly, and Ada.

"Michael?" I tilted my head.

"What are you doing up? You don't even have a shirt on." Michael took off his coat at placed it around my cold shoulders.

"Glad to see ya alive and well." Arthur patted my back making me hunch over in pain. "Sorry!"

"These are from Tommy." Polly shoved through the men and handed a bouquet of white tulips. "He sends his regards for not being able to come. You know how it is love."

"Yes," I frowned grabbing the bouquet. "A typical Shelby."

"She's a regular Shelby now." Arthur laughed.

"Thank you for...everything, but I have suddenly become quite tired."

"Tis best you rest my dear." Michael put arm gently around my lower back for support.

"Sleep well dear!" Ada said as Michael guided me back to the room. He opened the door and delicately pushed me in. I sat upon the stuff bed and laid down slowly hoping to not irritate the bruising.

"Better not see you up again until those ribs of yours are full recovered." Michael sat in the metal chair next to the bed.

"I promise," I glanced down at the bouquet of flowers from Tommy. I played with the delicate white petals keeping my mind off of the whole situation.

"I had an idea last night." Michael leaned in to grab my hands from the flowers. He began to toy with the engagement ring. "We should get married soon."

"Thought we were."

"I mean like tomorrow or next week. Whenever you recover of course."

"Oh," my heart began to beat fast. "Michael I think we need to talk." At that moment Finn came bursting into the room.

"Michael, Tommy called he needs us."

"Fuck, alright." Michael stood up and took his coat. "Be well, my love." Kissing me quickly. I smiled pretending to be okay with his leave. Honestly none of it was 'okay' with me. I didn't want to be alone. I wanted to be caressed in the arms of a man. Perhaps I didn't prefer Michael's arms, but my love was not here. None of this made sense. Tommy couldn't take time to visit me and now Michael suddenly doesn't want to sell me off. My mind was in shambles.

A knock on the door distracted me from my petal plucking. I didn't say enter cause I already say the door slowly creak open. It was Esme holding a bottle of whiskey. She smiled faintly at the sight of me. I dropped the bouquet on the floor. "May I accompany you?"

"I am a little parched." I signaled her in. She shut the door carefully behind her and pranced over. She took out two shot glasses from her bag and placed them beside me to fill.

"I thought it would take the pain away. Certainly helps me."

"I don't think it can fix a broken heart." I muttered to myself. Esme caught a whiff of my comment and frowned.