Nighting Gale

After Michael's successful bullet extraction, Tommy insisted that I'd stay the night for him. I'm a horrible sleeper as it is, and because of the event that had taken place yesterday I stayed up the whole night. At three in the morning I decided to take an unguided tour of the Shelby manor. Without trying to wake anyone, I crept slowly towards the end of the hall with an oil lamp in hand. I took my time down each step on the staircase until I hit the landing. In the corner of my eye I saw Tommy's study door open. I walked in to shut the door when I saw Michael staring intensely into his thoughts by the window. He turned his head over his shoulder and smiled sweetly.

"I'm sorry, didn't you were in here." I was shocked to see him up already after the surgery.

"No, it's okay. Please join me." He turned his back to the window. I nodded and shut the door behind me as I walked towards him.

"Does it hurt?" I asked as I stared at the bandage wrapped around his chest.

"Not as bad as you may think. I've been shot before though, so it's not that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal? We all thought you were gonna die." I huffed.

"What are you doing here Mamie?" Micheal shifter towards me staring at me with his broken eyes.

"I came for you." I looked down at the ring strung on my ring finger.

"I see Polly found it."

"Yes, she knew you wouldn't give it to me."

"I didn't want to stop you." He turned back to the window.

"Polly was right I should never have tried running away from my own stupid fears. This wouldn't have happened." I stopped the few tears rolling down from my face.

"That's not true."

"Yes it is, he's jealous."

"I mean Al isn't the most accommodating."

"No Alfie, I knew right when I was in the Garrison with Polly that day he was up to something. But silly me I put my guard down."

"What do you mean?" Michael turned back to face me.

"Alfie didn't try stopping Capone, he thought getting rid of you might get me to run back to him. For protection and all."

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard!" Michael placed his one movable arm onto my shoulder. "He can try killing me as many times as he like, but I won't ever allow him to hurt you."

Michael leaned in to my face;pausing right by my lips. He closed his eyes and tightened his grip around my shoulder. "You don't need to worry anymore." His lips softly caressed mine. Then he pulled away and went in for a hug. I tried gently wrapping my arms around him loosely enough to not hurt him.

The truth was I lied. I lied like I always did. Never truly explaining myself or my thoughts. I didn't really return for just him. Yes I cared for Michael, but something was blocking me from fully accepting his affection.

As Michael released from the hug, I saw gleaming flicker of a light come from the crack in the door. It was Tommy spying on us. I didn't say anything or even acknowledged the fact I saw him. I just pulled away from Michael and grabbed his hands.

"I'm going to kill him, I promise." I whispered before suddenly leaving Michael in the study.

I hoped by the time I returned in the Hall I'd see Tommy waiting for me patiently in the dark. But it seemed he went back upstairs. I rushed up the staircase with the oil lamp still in hand. I was disappointed to see only the darkness that lingered in the hall. Maybe I was foolish and simply imagined Tommy in the doorway listening in. Yet I sort of wished for him to see me there with Michael. It's the devil in me.

I unlocked my guest room door with the small iron key. As I pushed it open I saw a tall dark figure at the end of the room. The sight startled me, making me drop the oil lamp.

"Tommy?" I whispered into the air. Tommy ran over and placed his cold hand over my mouth.

"Don't speak." Tommy shut the door from behind me, then pushed me against it. "I know where Alfie is. I've tried killing him before so it won't be easy." He slid a revolver into my right hand. It's cold emptiness weighed on my mind. Tommy released his hand from around my mouth.

"You're am intoxicating man Mr. Shelby. But I doubt creeping into my room this late at night just to hand me a gun isn't your only reason for visiting." I blatantly stated emotionlessly.

"Did you really return for Michael?"

"Ah, so you were listening in?" I smirked stepping closer to him. He pushed me back up against the door.

"It was accidental."

"Why are you inquiring?"

"Goodnight Ms. Bellingham." Tommy gave up and slid past me for the door.

"I was petrified at the thought it was you." Tommy stopped at my words. He reshut the door."The whole time in the cab I wished it wasn't you."

Tommy silently walked back towards me. The expression on his face read of slight relief. "Nobody can kill me, kid. Especially not Alfie or Capone and his men."

"I wouldn't be so cocky Shelby."

"I have a plan." His tired hands reached around my lower back.

"You always do."

"Don't worry about me." Tommy lifted my chin to his eye level. "I better see you in the office tomorrow."

"We'll see, an engaged woman now." I smiled. Tommy shook his head.

"Not to the right man." He grabbed my face with his cold tender hands and kissed me more fervently than any man had before.