The Favor

"Why didn't you tell me, Mel!?" Tommy frantically took me into the hall away from the lounge. He was out of breath and nervous. Though he tried keeping his hard exterior, I could see the worry behind his blue eyes.

"Tommy calm down." I placed my hands in his hot palms. "I'm not pregnant."

"What do you mean? You can't just..." he paused recollecting his thoughts. "Well you could fake a pregnancy, but the question is why Mel?"

"I didn't."

"So you are pregnant?"

"No!" I ripped my hands from his and paced around the hall. "What I mean is Linda did."

"Linda's pregnant?"

"What? No, she made it up in the heat of the moment." I hugged Tommy hoping to reassure him. "I was wearing your ring when Michael tried taking my gloves from me."

"Should've known Linda would make up something so horrendous." Tommy began hugging me back. I pulled away and affectionately pinched his cheek. "If I were pregnant, if i even could get pregnant, I don't know what I would do honestly."

"What do you mean?"

"We should talk about this later, they're probably worried." I tried scurrying off but Tommy grabbed my shoulders. "I'll go clear the air there's nothing to worry about."

"Wait," I turned towards him. "We can't!"

"Why?"

"It would look suspicious, wouldn't it? One moment I'm announcing a pregnancy, next you pull me out of a room, and now a gals pregnancy."

"We aren't suspicious, nobody even knows about all this."

"So, Polly hit you for no reason?" I crossed my arms and glared at him.

"Okay this all looks quite shady, but what do you want me to do hate you?"

"Yes! That'll work, your sudden twist of attitude of me may get everyone off our backs. Michael won't question us and I'll pretend I'm pregnant."

"Oh okay genius, what about nine months from now?" Tommy scoffed crossing his arms now. "Michael told me he wanted us to get married as soon as possible, if I abruptly have a miscarriage the wedding will become postponed!"

"You're despicable," Tommy slyly smirked walking up to me. His chest touched mine. His cold hands wrapped gently around my cheeks. "I like the way you think." He leaned in for a kiss. His lips were just as cold and melancholy as his hands. Hopefully my warmth would change that.

Tommy slipped away from my lips. I longed for me of him. I always do, I'm teased with these samples of him. Yet, he keeps holding back. The night we shared a room truth was nothing happened. It's like he was holding out for the perfect moment. He respected me more than any other woman. But why?

"Shall we get back?" Tommy offered his hand.

"You have to hate me remember?" I walked past him rejecting his hand. I could feel his smile.

I confidently strolled back into the lounge acting as though few minuets never existed. I immediately clung myself to Michael giggling at his jokes. Tommy leaned back in a corner being his old reserved self. Arthur and Finn went on doing toasts for the 'baby'. I felt slightly guilty over it but I have to do what I have to do in order to have Tommy. I sound like one of those classic romantics now. What have I turned into?

The boys locked us women out later in the evening after dinner over future projects with the whiskey business. Linda and Esme were in the kitchen cleaning. Polly sat alone at the table cradling a drink and a newly lit cigarette. I walked in to join her from across the table. She leaned forward in her chair and placed her forearms on the table.

"Well, Hello mommy." Polly took a swipe of her drink.

"Polly,"

"I'm the eyes and ears of this family, and if something happens to my boys I know about it. What I don't like is a woman who plays games. A smart woman to say the least. I like you Mel, you're strategic and I knew instantly you'd be an asset. Sadly Michael got a liking for you, don't get me wrong he's one of my own. But you're a woman who needs power."

"Polly, I think you're getting this all wrong."

"I need you Mel, by my side." Polly mashed her cigarette into the ash try. "We women need to stick together. So tell me, if there even is a baby in the oven I recommend you make it Tommy's."

"What are you asking?" I tilted my head in confusion. Polly stood up from the chair and finished off her drink with one big gulp. "I want control back in these male infested waters. I know Tommy already has a liking for you and I want you to make it permanent."

"Polly I'm with your son. Isn't that enough for you?"

"Don't lie to me Bellingham or whatever you are." Polly came over by my side and crouched down facing me. "You've never had interest in my son. I consider Tommy more of my own anyways."

"I don't know how I'd be any help for you, Tommy hardly listens to me as it is."

"Listen to me!" Polly grabbed my face out of anger. "You control him more than you know. If you're the head of this family soon you can make him do whatever you want and I think it's in your best interest if you're on my side at the end of the day."

Suddenly Michael walked into the room with Finn and Arthur. Tommy followed shortly behind. Polly released her grasp from my face when she heard them. "Ready darling?"

"Melvina isn't feeling well." Polly stood up onto her feet. "I think it's best if she stays, I don't think she could make the trip."

"Is it the baby?" Michael rushed to my side and touched my empty stomach.

"How pregnant do you think I am?!" I snapped. I could hear Tommy chuckle behind the men.

"I want what is best for you can't argue with Polly on this one you look poorly." My eyes widened at Michael's response which made Tommy laugh harder into his fist.

"The poor thing may faint at any moment, Tommy will you please carry her up to the guest bedroom?" Polly winked at me. I rolled my eyes.

"Of course, Pol." Tommy fought his way through the men. He rolled up his white sleeves and picked me up into his arms. Tommy stopped in front of Michael where he kissed my forehead and wished me goodnight. Polly really knew how to play every situation her favor. But now I had another problem on my hands, not allowing Tommy to get too close to me...