Homemaker

I forcefully pushed open the doors of the Garrison as dramatically as possible. A few of the bartenders behind the bar stopped to look. I grabbed a pint from a waitresses tray and took a long swig of it. I hustled over to the bar and sat on one of the stools. One of the managers I knew, George, Cane over to me. I flew my two suitcases onto the counter. He stared.

"What's goin on?" George wondered.

"I need a job, George." I took another sip of from the pint.

"The office not treating you right?"

"I quit, and I moved out." I said patting the suitcases.

"Well we don't have much openings but..."

"Find one."

"When can you start?"

"Now?"

"One second," George went back behind the bar and into the back room. He came back holding an apron and a tray. "I'll put your suitcases in the back." He grabbed them from underneath my right arm.

"So, what's the pay boss?" I joked as I slipped on the apron.

"Can't promise you much love, and the hours will be long."

"I'm a hard worker." I smiled grabbed empty pints at a table.

"Welcome home!" He laughed walking to the back room.

Once George left the front, I laid the tray on the bar and sat back down the stool. This was going to be a long day but it'll all be worth it when the boys come in during the evening for a pint. Tommy thinks he can simply cut me out of his life, he's wrong.

Around three, a group of men shoved their way into the Garrison. Polly being apart of the group. She smirk devilishly when she saw me behind the bar. The men stopped to stare at my new cut. I whipped up a pretend cheerful attitude as I greeted them.

"What are you doin here, kid?" Arthur laughed in astonishment as Finn played with my hair.

"Well I knew my place, and it was time for me to leave." I swatted Finn away.

"Is that so?" Polly circled around me like a vulture.

"Yes it seems he hired a new bimbo instead." I smiled sarcastically. The boys spit out their beer.

"Bloody hell?" Arthur shouted.

"It's fine, I've got a nice surprise for Michael when he gets home."

The boys began to chuckle when Tommy confidently strides in with a drenched overcoat. He stopped right behind the doors when he saw the gang gathered around me. I turned my head towards him and nodded. He straightened his hat and approached us. Everyone went silent.

"There better be a bloody good answer to why you're wearing an apron Burke." Tommy demanded.

"Well it seems I'm out of a job, so I marched right over to this garrison and asked good ol' George for a job. He understood it's hard out there for a young woman like me, hired me right on the spot!"

"This is my place of business Burke." Tommy lit a cigarette. The boys started chugging down beers to keep quiet. Polly looked amused by our exchange.

"Oh I know, but I thought you wouldn't mind. I am your future sister-in-law after all." I batted my eyes. Tommy looked away timidly.

"Of course," Tommy shoved through the boys and headed to the back without another word. Polly smiled a little.

"Look at the time!" I pretended to look at my nonexistent pocket watch. "I'm off." I threw the tray down on a table and untied my apron. "Please come again, y'all hear?" I pooped up my hair and went into the back for my luggage.

I knew what I was starting when I walked into the Garrison that day. I hoped Tommy's tension would grow between us. How I love driving him insane. Who else had the balls enough to? Practically took a page out of Polly's book.

I walked to Michael's manor in the country. Took me over an hour but I didn't have enough change on me for a cabbie. The soles of my shoes were pretty worn out by the time I got there. The rain has thankfully stopped too. It took me a while to be able to get the gumption to knock on Michael's door. This was going to make things more difficult I think. Not for Michael, but for the struggle within me.

As I knocked hard on the door, I heard Michael quickly make his way down the staircase. I took a deep breath and lit a new cigarette. Michael swung open the door only wearing an old pair of slacks.

"Don't you know beautiful girls shouldn't be lighting their own cigarettes?" He smiled peculiarly.

"You caught me." I blew out the match and threw it behind me.

"What happened to your hair?" Michael gently touched the ends.

"Needed a change." I lunged over for a hug. He wrapped his arms around my waist in response. "I quit, and I'm moving in." I whispered into his ear.

"About time." I could feel him smile.