Ambush

I laid in a large king sized bed all to myself. The sheets were a red satin followed by a fluffy fringed duvet. I smiled at the thought of last night's thoroughly needed rest. I sat up and saw a note on the nightstand. I picked it up and unfolded it out of the tiny envelope. Come downstairs for breakfast my love - Al.

I don't remember how but I saw myself suddenly walking down a marble staircase wearing only a feathered robe. At the last step I saw Al sitting patiently  in the other room with a table full of pastries. I rushed over happily. Al let out his arms to signal me to sit in his lap. I sat on his legs and grabbed a fresh chocolate croissant.

"Hey now, slow your horses!" Al took the croissant from me.

"Sorry, I'm hungry."

"No shame in that sweetie." Al pressed his chapped lips against mine. His breath smelt of cigarettes. "I wanted this one though." He took a quick bite as to establish it was his property.

"Piggy," I laughed squeezing his round nose.

"Please eat doll, can't let you go hungry." He chewed with his mouth open. I snatched a strawberry danish.

"So, What's the special occasion?"

"What, I can't treat my girl to a nice breakfast?"

"You hate spending money, Al."

"You got me there." He wiped his mouth with a cloth napkin. "Got a good surprise for you." He snapped his fingers demandingly. Out came two beautifully freckled children. A girl with long black ringlets and a boy with platinum blonde hair. I seemed to recognize them deep down. I had this urge to scream with joy. I jumped down to hug the little rascals. Their bodies warmed my skin. I couldn't help but smile. Then my mind filled with blatant worry. Who were these darling children?

"Al, who are these kids?" I turned my head to ask him. He appeared puzzled by my question.

"That's Dottie and Charles of course!" He chuckled loudly.

"Dottie and Charles?" I whispered to myself as I released from their hugs. I stared at them trying to remember their soft angelic faces. They were familiar but I couldn't place them.

"Papa!" Dottie screamed turning around and running to the man's arms. In the doorway stood Tommy lifting Dottie and Charles up into his arms.

"Papa?" My eyes widened as I stood up.

"How can you not recognize your children?" Al patted my back. Tommy walked over with a great big smile. The happiest I had ever seen him.

"My children?"

"Good morning, mommy." Tommy joked as he pecked my cheek affectionately.

"Mommy? I've never had children."

"What's wrong with mama?" Charles asked in a low sweet voice.

"Mommy is just having a bad morning." Tommy patted his head.

"Excuse me, I feel a little faint." I brushed my hair back and quickly walked out of the room.

What in bloody hell was this? I don't recall baring children, especially with Tommy. I would have definitely remembered that. Why was I in Al's house? This all seemed peculiar now. I haven't been in Al's house for almost two years now. The doorbell rang interrupting my thoughts. Without thinking, I went to the door. There outside stood Sedrick with a handful of wildflowers.

"Good morn, Lass." Sedrick smirked.

"Fuckin' kill me." I murmured to myself slamming the door.