Resignation

"Mr. Shelby?" I knocked outside of his door.

"Come in." An exhausted voice called. I walked in to see Tommy wearing his reading glasses while eyeing down a stack of documents. "What can I do you for Burke?" He smirked.

"I wanted to formally turn in my resignation to you." I handed him my paper.

"Resignation?" He slipped off his glasses.

"Yes, I've decided to move. My aunt needs me closer for her health."

"Her health?" He stared into my eyes and then put the paper down. "I hope this has nothing to do with anything else?"

"Of course not." I glanced down at my feet to avoid eye contact. He stood up from his chair and walked over to me.

"I thought your aunt lived in Cork?" He lean his arm over me against the wall. He smelt of a musky sandalwood and a mix of cigar smoke.

"She does sir." I mumbled.

"I thought you left Cork to get away from your husband?" He lifted up my chin. I gulped.

"Can't hurt to try again." I crossed my arms. Tommy removed his arm and began walking to his drink cart.

"So you'd rather get back with that drunk lord of yours. Heard he abused you mercilessly for three years." He poured himself a scotch.

"Wait how did you know that?"

"I did my research." Tommy handed me a scotch. "It's also hard to hide such a rich past; Lord Sedrick O'Connor II." Tommy dipped his drink. "Parents made you marry at sixteen in order to settle a few debts. After eighteen though it all gets fuzzy."

"My aunt is dying sir." I placed my drink on his desk. I felt his presence right behind me.

"I'd like to believe all this but you're smarter than that. I know you hold your grudges and your pride high. I doubt you'd ever return to Ireland in general." Tommy placed his glass next to mine. He leaned his face up against my right ear. "Why did you buy a ticket to Paris then Burke?"

"I don't know what you're going on about." Tommy suddenly turned me around to face him. His hands cupped around my thin arms.

"I have become fond of you while you've been here, and I know so have the others. Michael loves you, why would you leave him?"

"No offense Mr. Shelby, but I haven't felt love for a long time." I swatted his hands off of me. I refuse to be overpowered by a man. "I don't want to bring any more trouble." I walked over to his door.

"We can help you, just stay."

"I'm fine on my own."

"You're broken like me." He sat on his desk. "I could tell when I first saw you at the garrison."

"I can't see how I'm broken when I don't even know who I am anymore." A single tear rolled down my left cheek. I wiped it away with my satin sleeve.

"What's your real name Mamie? At least leave me with that."

"Majorie, Majorie Belfour."

"No, I already know that one. I meant your birth name. I already knew Majorie Belfour, met her a year ago on a cruise ship." He chuckled. More tears rolled down my face as I looked up at the lights.

"You remember that don't you?"

"How could I forget that sultry pout and mysterious green eyes?"

"You've always known then?"

"Not in the beginning, but it did come to me after I saw Capone's men in the cafe." He drank the rest of the scotch from his glass.

"She's dead now." I opened the door of his office and grabbed my items from my desk before heading out.

I took the stairs and avoided any small talk from fellow secretaries. I didn't bother flagging down a cab at this time of night. I decided to walk,by myself, back to the apartment complex. Maybe it was something in the air but I had a feeling somebody waiting for me. The Hall was quiet and dark. I slipped my key into the lock but the door creaked open by itself. I held onto my clutch tightly. A breeze of crisp air flew past me. The balcony doors were open. I took a steak knife from the kitchen and creeped through the balcony doors. A tall stalky man stood silently looking out into the city.

"Majorie," he called.

"Alfie, you gave me a freight." I dropped the knife. He turned around and smiled.

"I told you I'd be seeing you soon."

"What's the occasion?" I hugged him tightly in his arms. He felt the same.

"Capone isn't happy with you."

"Oh really, I couldn't tell?" I lit a cigarette.

"There's this saying I heard once, never trust a woman who's broken a man's heart, but never double cross a man who's had a broken heart."

"I don't think that's a saying Alfie but I got the idea."

"Still leaving Tuesday?" He lit himself a cigarette as he leaned over the balcony.

"That's the plan."

"He better not be there."

"You're funny if you think I'd ever want to see Sedrick." I laughed.

"Gotta make sure kid."

"Is Capone gonna kill me?"

"Not if he can't find you, which he will."

"He won't go to France, he wouldn't go then he won't go now."

"I don't know about that, he's out of his goddamn mind." Alfie flicked his cigarette then swiftly scooted over to me. "I'd hate to say it but you have a better chance staying here with the Blinders."

"I'm done talking about it. I'm not starting a gang war. I don't want anymore blood on my hands."

"Your brother's death wasn't your fault Majorie."

"Yes it was!" I snapped turning to Alfie. "He was the only person I gave a shit about and he's dead!"

"They'll protect you. I'd hate to see you become like him."

"I'm not," I flicked my cigarette over the balcony. I started walking back into the house.

"Is it couse you care about him?"

"Who?" I paused.

"Tommy,"

"No,"

"Seems like you do, he reminds you of your brother doesn't he? Dark hair, blue eyes, impeccably stubborn."

"Shut up," I left the balcony, grabbed an umbrella, and left my apartment once again.