The Set Up

It's eight in the morning, there's heavy rain, a tea stain on my blouse, and I just arrive to the office minus one tea in hand. I open the door to Thomas' office. It was quiet, Thomas didn't seem to be in yet so I placed my tea on his desk instead. I shut his door then sat at my desk to organize paperwork.

I threw my clutch into a drawer as I tried fixing my braid. As I raised my head back up I saw a letter snugged under a folder. I slipped it out. On the cover of the envelope read 'Mamie'. My heart began beating hard inside my chest. I ripped open the seal with a cutter and took out the letter. In neat handwriting read specific instructions about arriving for tea at the garrison. I rolled my eyes then crumpled up the letter. Polly almost had me sweating. I thought it could've been from Al again. He was getting closer on my trail. I needed to flee soon.

"Morning, Burke." Thomas rushed in and swiftly took of his overcoat.

"There's a breakfast tea in your office." I mumbled as I quickly hid Polly's letter.

"Any calls?"

"Nope,"

"Well you know where I'll be." He walked over to the door.

"I need to leave around two if you don't mind?"

"Oh, for what?" He leaned up against my desk and smirked.

"My Aunt is in town and silly me accidentally made plans for two."

"Your aunt?" He leaned closer to me.

"From Cork."

"Well I can't stop you being with family Burke, have a good time." He stood up.

"Thank you Mr. Shelby." My nerves immediately settled.

"Thomas,"

"Mr. Thomas,"

"Clever," he smiled as he walked into his office then shut the door.

I counted down the hours until two. I needed a game plan, I was going to slip out of the office, get my new dress from the apartment, then head over to the garrison where Polly was meeting me with some potential investors of the Shelby's. I didn't understand why Polly was keeping this so under the table from Thomas and the others, but evidently she trusted me. Maybe this was her finding a reason to trust me instead.

Thomas had been stuck in his office all day over calls so I didn't bother to knock when I left. The rain was still pouring hard and my new dress became drenched. I nervously pushed open the doors of the garrison, it was practically empty except for the table in the back where Polly sat alone. I tip toed in. She took a drag from her cigarette.

"Ever heard of an umbrella, kid?" She laughed.

"Forgot it," I sat next to her.

"It's fine, we'll get you a new one later."

"What?"

"After this we can buy you a house."

"What's this about exactly, your letter was cryptic?"

"Gonna be a Shelby, you have to learn how to be one."

"To be clear, you're the one who's blacked mailed me into this." I stole her scotch.

"I'm helping." She took back her scotch.

"Helping yourself."

"Get a letter from a friend lately?" I froze at her words.

"Who wants to know?"

"They'll find you, and you know what will happen when they do." She took a sip of the scotch.

"I bought a ticket for Tuesday, a nine o'clock trip to France."

"Change your name again? Find a new place to stay? It could be easier."

"Nothing ever comes easily for me."

"Tell me about it, you can at least have people to watch your back here." She raised her brow. "Here they are," She nudged my shoulder.

Three tall gangly men walked towards the back near us. Polly stood up with a beaming smile. I stood up beside her. The man in the middle I thought I'd never see again. God help me.

"Alfie, always a pleasure." Polly hugged him.

"Majorie Belfour?" He smirked. "Long time no see."

"Solomons," I scoffed.

"Glad to see you know each other." We all sat.

"Last time I saw you, you and Al were planning some wedding bells." Alfie chuckled.

"Last time I saw you, you were drunk off your ass. Wait, if I remember you were about to -"

"Alright let's get to business!" Alfie changed the subject.

"Shall we?" I smirked at Polly.

"Since you owe Thomas, I want to cash in on his favor." Polly rubbed her cigarette into the ash tray.

"Looks like you've caught my attention once again Polly." He leaned over the table.

"Occupy Capone for awhile, he's getting hot on Majorie. We have to wait until Michael pops the question."

"Wait what?"

"So now you're a Shelby?" Alfie laughed.

"No I am certainly not!" I clenched onto my clutch.

"Do it and I can get Tommy to pardon you."

"Give me a few days." Alfie crosses his arms.

"Great, Thank you." Polly stood up. I followed her lead. "See you soon Solomons." She topped her hat.

On our way out, Alfie grabbed my arms and swung me around. He leaned in close. I could feel his breath on my face. "You're playing a deadly game Belfour. Be careful."

"I'll try," I grunted pulling my arm away from his grip.

"I do care for you, I'd hate for you to get hurt again."

"I'm not getting married, I'm not becoming a Shelby. I'm leaving Tuesday."

"Send me the address."

I walked back to Polly who waited outside of the Garrison. She was lighting a new cigarette.

"What was that all about?" Polly asked intrigued.

"Nothing," I murmured shaking my head.

"So how about that new dress?"

"I'd rather get back."

"I promised you a dress and I don't break my promises."

"I can't believe you!" I screamed turning to her. "Getting Alfie in on this, revealing my future proposal! What makes you think I want to even marry Michael? I can't even get married Pol I'm still legally bonded to fucking Sedrick."

"Sedrick, the ex I'm assuming?" Polly stopped walking.

"He could be dead for all I know."

"Like I said maybe it won't be Michael, he can be a little faint-hearted." Polly smirked.

"I'm done with this, I'm leaving Tuesday." I quickly walked away leaving Polly in the rain.