Baby's Last Dance

The funeral was short and sweet. The eulogy was bland and none of the fifteen people in attendance cried. I stood back on a hill away from everyone with a black umbrella and matching black slip dress. Why did I attend my abusive ex husband's funeral? Maybe it was for the closure, or to check if he was actually dead. Either way I stood alone on that hillside at the crack of dawn. Nobody knew I attended,not even Tommy. He'd kill me if I were here. I can hear him now trying to reason with me saying "it's the past, he's dead now.". But that's the thing, I'm not. So until I die I'll hunt down all of those who have crossed my path and hurt my loved ones. I'm no longer going to stay small or weak. I won't have another be hurt by my actions.

It all wrapped up around nine-forty. When the mist started rolling away. Everybody left quite swiftly with their hankies in hand. Iade my way to the grave stone and read the epitaph. "Fredrick Winston Anothy O'Malley, loving son, husband, and father. Will be missed." I clamped my hands around one of the many bouquets scattered around his plot.

"father, eh?" a deep voice said behind my ear. I turned my head nervously to see Tommy crouching beside me. "Anything else you haven't told me Boyle?"

"It's Burke now." I said sharply as I stood up. "What are you doing here anyways?"

"I can ask the same from you."

"Not everything needs explaining Shelby." I began walking away but Tommy grabbed my around the arm pulling me back to him.

"is there anything I should know. Do you have a kid? I won't judge you I have one myself as you know."

"I'm cutting ya off right there." I took my cigarette holder from my pocket to take off my edge. "I am not a mother. Yes I did have a child but they never made it to even know their name. Fredrick's illegitimate son is in Spain with his whore mother. I think he visited him once, I never asked such questions."

"Mel, I promise you..." He paused taking the cigarette from my mouth and pursing it onto his lips. His right hand grazed my cold mildewed cheek. "I promise you it won't be this way anymore. I'm focusing on you and me, and I'll give you the life you deserve. I'll give you the family you need. A child? Name it, it will be yours."

"All I want is to shoot him again." I swatted his hand off me.

"Revenge is a dark path Mel."

"Stop calling me that! I told you she's dead!" I screamed at him. We both stared at each other for a couple of seconds to take a breath. "I should get back to my fiancé."

* 10:05 A.M.*

The ride home in Tommy's vehicle was awkward to say the least after my horrible outbreak. He should know by now that I don't appreciate people in my business. He didn't even have the authority to come for me. We aren't even really engaged. We'll we are but now I'm rethinking everything. Also the fact I still have this fake pregnancy happening at the same time is making me weary. How long could I keep this all up?

We made back to Tommy's right as the rain returned. I quickly hoped out before he could open my door for me. He was trying to catcv up behind me but it was no use I opened the front doors and searched for Michael.

"Mel, please let's talk." As he finished his sentence Ada, Arthur, Lizzie, Esme, Finn, Michael, and of course Polly hopped out of the shadows and threw confetti at us. Oh yes, Polly definitely threw me a baby shower, 9 months too early. Polly seemed pretty satisfied with herself with that smug smile on her old wrinkly face. I rolled my eyes and sighed as I turned around back to Tommy who looked like death.

"Polly had this excellent idea that we should throw you a good old fashioned baby shower." Michael spoke coming in for a hug. His arms wrapped around me strongly. I felt the claustrophobia enclosing around me. Lies were usually things I'm good at keep but this was stressing me out.

"Oh did she?" I scowled.

"I just had to knowing there was going to be a new Gray in this house." She slapped her arm on my shoulders. "Right love?"

"I need to use the restroom." I grumbled as I released myself from her clutches. I could hear Tommy trying to distract everyone with some made up political story of his. I went to the bathroom by the kitchen and threw cold water onto my face. What have I gotten myself into... Again? Truth be told I never had intercourse with Michael so its odd he's believing all of this. Unless he thinks it's Tommy's but doesn't care. I haven't bedded him properly as well.

I thought possibly sneaking out could be my best bet. I turned the knob slowly making sure I wouldn't make any noise. Everybody seemed to be in the parlor. I stepped out slowly and made my way to the kitchen back door. From there I snatched one of Tommy's old coats that hung by the door, then crept out into the morning rain and made my escape. I ran till I flagged down the nearest cabbie, which wasn't hard for me. I told him, Ronny, to drop me off at the nearest cafe. I stepped out in my black slip, heels, and Tommy's coat. Not ideal rainy weather attire but its better than staying in that Manor. I walked around the corner of the business area in search for a bite to eat. I passed by a high end clothing store with a 'hiring sign' slapped on the window. I shrugged, why not? Not like I want to go back to Parliament, you've seen how far that's gotten me. I walked in drenched from the rain. A store employee immediately caught his eye on me ans smiled. He quickly walked over to greet me with a big smile.

"Welcome, please tell me you're here about employment?" Not trying to seem too desperate I relaxed my shoulders and hovered to the nearest clothes rack. "No, was taking in the Sunday shopping deals. Why do you ask?" He smiled more at the response and followed me.

"You don't seem like the type of girl who needs deals." He took my hand and examined the giant rock on my hand. Shit, I forgot to trade off Tommy's ring. "A ring like this says otherwise."

"I'm not the rich one my dear its my fiancé." I kept up this game for my own amusement at this point.

"Oh, I know exactly who you are." He stopped me by going around the other way and cutting off my path. "Ms. Gray."

"Mamie Burke." I reached out my hand to him.

"Edward Hawthorn." He shook my hand.

"I see the word has gotten around then."

"Everybody keeps up with the Shelby's around here. So how about that job?"

"To be honest I'm not avidly searching."

"Shame, you would made an excellent model for our new collection."

"A model, eh?"

"Now I've caught your attention." Edward took a step closer. "Imagine, Mamie Burke, plastered on every magazine in London to France."

"You're quite convincing." I smirked. He tussles back his blonde hair and leaned against the clothes rack.

"Then sign here..." He handed me a pen and handed me the papers from his suit pocket. I laughed a little in my head. But I had this unsettling feeling I was being watched. I swiveled my head directly at the the large entrance window. There Tommy and Michael stood with cigarettes against a car.