8 - Mall Trips

"Why are we watching this on a Sunday morning?" I asked shielding my eyes from the gory horror movie Corbyn wanted to watch.

"It's so good!" He said shoving more popcorn into his mouth.

"Dad, say something to him." I said groaning.

"Sorry Nat, your on your own. Gotta go to work kiddo." He said.

"Dad we never hang out anymore." I said letting out a sigh. Ever since we got to California, he's been having to work almost two times as more.

"I know Nat, I just started my new job, I have to show my commitment." He said as he grabbed his bag and put his hand on the door. "I'll make it up to you soon." He said with a wink as he headed out the door.

"Corbyn your on your own." I sighed as I got up from the couch and headed to my room.

I plopped down and thought of all the things I could do. I could watch Netflix for several hours. I could ask Jonah to bring me food. I could do some homework. So many possibilities.

I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling for about 10 minutes until I got the best idea.

Me: hey girl what you doing ?

Opal: nothing, you

Me: great! do you want to go to the mall? I haven't gone shopping since forever

Opal: thank the lord, I'll pick you up,

Me: ok!

I get ready, and by that I mean I change my hoodie and grab my keys. I head down towards the door.

"Corbyn, your on your own." I said as I headed towards the kitchen.

"Are you going to Jonah's?" He asked not once taking his eyes off the T.V.

"Nope, the mall. Do you want anything?" I asked. Corbyn turned his head to look at me.

"Yes, I want food." He said shoving his face with more popcorn. I let out a small laugh.

"Ok." I said hearing a car horn which meant Opal was here. "Alright, I'll be back before 7."

"Ok, bye!" Corbyn said turning back to the screen as I walked out of the house.

"Hey Nat," Opal said from her car.

"Hey!" I said walking over to her.

"Let's go," She said motioning for me to get into her car. I got in her car and she drove off. "Just a slight warning, the mall is pretty far."

"How? I saw one on my way to the ice cream place?" I asked confused.

"Ok that is a mall, but it doesn't have good stores, and if you haven't gone shopping in awhile, we need good stores." She said sending a small smile my way.

"Ok." I said laughing at her logic. Suddenly, I felt my phone buzz. I looked at it and I saw a text from Jonah.

Jonah: hey

"Is that Jonah!" Opal shrieks.

"Yes! Eyes on the road! Oh my god!" I said as he's almost swerved off the lane.

"Ok, sorry, what did he say?" She asked excited.

"Just hey," I answered with a slight shrug.

"Well, text him back!" She said looking at me.

"Ok," I said motioning for her to keep her eyes on the road.

"Oops, forgot." She said looking ahead.