Chapter 15

The lady had given me the cigarettes with no problem after that. I had simply walked out and headed back for the park.

When I got back, I was a few minutes late, "Now you'll have to meet us tomorrow night." Jake said after I handed him the pack of cigarettes. He opened it and handed each of the guys a cigar. No one seemed to notice the one kid that stood in the back and didn't take one.

"I did what you told me to!" I complained, I did not want to come back to this park again. I didn't want to have to take on another task.

"Remember what's at stake if you don't show." His knife was now at hand and he gently spun it around his finger. His lips, smiling with pleasure, opened again, "This is the last thing. After this you won't have anything to do with us again."

As much as I tried not to give in, I just couldn't, I knew I had to accept the last task. After that I could forget any of this ever happened. I wouldn't have to worry, I wouldn't have to talk to Jake ever again or come to this dreadful park. It would be all over, this whole nightmare would be in the past, just a blurred dream that no one will have to know about, "Fine!"

Jake's smile grew even bigger, "See you then."

Just like that he waved a hand and the gang left. Their silhouettes outlined by the light on the bathroom. Their footprints already being washed away by the rain.

I stood and thought for a moment, I certainly did a lot of that now. It's all I could do, worry and think about my future now that this had gotten in the way. I guess I was also hoping for the best, maybe everything would be able to go back to normal, maybe. There wasn't really anything I could do to make anything happen, just sit and watch.