Chapter 21.0

A stale silence filled the air between them

A stale silence filled the air between them. He stood in front of her house, in the driveway, and she stood on the front steps. The only sounds were the whistle of air blowing by and the exhales of each of their breathing. 

They were both oddly still, not knowing how to act around the other after the recent events in Riverdale.

"Fangs isn't dead, you know . . ." Sweet Pea cut through the silence. He clearly had no idea what to say. 

"I never thought he was. Who told you he was dead?" Andy asked cautiously, also unsure of what to say. Her hair blew in front of her face, but she didn't move to brush it away.

Following Jughead being brought to the hospital, the Serpents went to war with the Ghoulies. They were quickly defeated because the Ghoulies brought a larger crowd. Some Serpents joined the Ghoulies, others fled Riverdale. Sunnyside Trailer Park was almost entirely destroyed.

After the events of that night, Sweet Pea showed up at her door. He was heavily bruised but seemed unbothered by it.

"A Deputy called and told FP at the Wyrm. He thinks Hiram Lodge did it to rile us up to fight the Ghoulies . . ."

"Sweet Pea . . . what are you really doing here?" Her voice turned to a whisper as she looked at him with heartbroken eyes. Sweet Pea had never seen her look as delicate as she did now.

He gazed at her with longing. "I'm sorry . . . I don't know what to say."

She raised her eyes to the sky in an effort to keep any tears from falling. "Look . . . I know that you've hated the Northside for years and that hatred is hard to shake, but last night . . . I . . . I think maybe this was a bad idea. We were a bad idea." Her voice cracked a little bit even though she willed it not to. 

"No-"

"You hate everything about where I'm from," she pointed out regretfully. A tear rolled down each of her cheeks. "And I thought you could get over it if I showed you that not all of us are bad but--"

"You can! You did," he cried desperately. "You were helping me so much and I didn't even deserve it. I was a dick. I'm still a dick." He took a shaky breath as he watched Andy's sorrow. "Fangs getting shot threw me, and I'm sorry. Andy, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I . . ." His eyes began to water, surprising Andy as she'd never seen him cry. He looked down and quickly wiped his eyes with the back of his flannel, presumably because he was embarrassed or not used to crying in front of others. "I'm an asshole. I'm always an asshole . . . Sometimes I get angry and I can't calm down. I don't know how to fix it. I didn't mean to hurt you. When I said 'Northsider' it wasn't supposed to include you."

"Well, it does," Andy cried, exasperated. "So you should stop using it like it doesn't. I'm a Northsider! You were dating a Northsider!"

" . . . 'were' dating?" He swallowed and his jaw clenched as he looked away.

Andy pressed her lips together and closed her eyes. "I don't think I can do this right now. I'm stressed about my dad's attack and I'm scared of the Black Hood and I'm scared of the Ghoulies and I can't think straight. I need time. I can't think about this along with everything else . . . Can you give me that? Could you give me time to think?"