Chapter One: The First Girl

"Supervisor Sugoroku," Momoko Hyakushiki began as Hajime stepped into her office. "You've been called in here because a new prisoner will be joining your building."

"Yes, Ma'am," Hajime replied. A bead of sweat dripped down his forehead. Man, the Warden made him nervous. "Who's coming?"

"Inmate Number Seventeen. She's guilty of multiple accounts of armed robbery and many escape attempts over the years. Put her in Cell Twelve," Momoko told Hajime.

"Yes, Ma'am-wait, did you say she?"

Momoko nodded. "Number Seventeen is an interesting case. No other prison seems to be able to hold her. She's escaped every single one within a month of her being placed there. American authorities asked for her to be placed here, in Nanba Prison."

"Understandable, Ma'am."

"Number Seventeen is waiting for you in your building. Be careful, she's a crafty one."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"You are dismissed."

Hajime bowed slightly and left the office. As soon as he did so, he leaned against the door and breathed out a sigh of relief. Man, the Warden could be terrifying sometimes. After the momentary relief, he left to go take care of the new prisoner. Whoever she was, she was probably a lot of trouble. All the troubled cases went to him, of course.

Momoko squealed. "I can't believe he was that close to mee!"

Momoko was, by all accounts, obsessed with Hajime. He was, in her opinion, a hunk who was perfect for her. She hoped he would do well with his new inmate. She didn't want to fire him or put him into trouble.

Elizabeth Riona was sitting in a waiting room of sorts in one of Nanba Prison's many buildings. The guards had searched her for weapons and such, but were apparently not used to female inmates. They hadn't taken her Altoids tin full of bobby pins. She was working on the cuffs behind her back with one of them.

"Inmate Number Seventeen," Hajime said as he walked into the room. "You've been convicted of multiple armed robberies and thirty escape attempts. You are now here at Nanba Prison and you will not escape."

"Wow, you're certainly a big gorilla, aren't you?" Elizabeth asked snarkily. "You look just like every other hulking guard I've ever dealt with. How are you any different?"

Hajime tightened his fists. "You will address me as Supervisor Sugoroku. Don't call me Gorilla, or you will face the consequences."

"Yes, Sir," Elizabeth replied sassily. "So what should I call you? The Hulk? Or are you more of a Thing kind of guy?"

Hajime grabbed Elizabeth by the back of her clothes and hoisted her up so that her toe tips didn't touch the ground. "I said you will address me as Supervisor Sugoroku. Nothing else. The guards here are not afraid to use force. Do you understand, Seventeen?"

Hajime moved the girl's head up so that she could see his face. He was holding the top of it steady, but it was by no means gently.

Taking stock of her situation, Elizabeth figured that she should do what the brute told her to do. It didn't mean she enjoyed the idea. "Yes."

Hajime dropped her and she fell to her knees. Her long ashy brown hair fell across her face as her head drooped. It seemed that this prison really would be different from the rest of them. This guard alone proved it.

"Stand up," Hajime ordered. "You will follow me to your new cell."

"Yes, Sir," Elizabeth replied, standing up and beginning to follow Hajime to the cell blocks inside of Building Thirteen.