Chapter Fourteen: Missing

(Warning: This chapter deals with issues such as depression and the refusal to eat, causing unhealthy body proportions. Read ahead at your discretion)

A month had passed in Nanba Prison. It was early July. Elizabeth had been taken a month ago exactly, and things weren't looking good. The Fourth of July in Nanba had come and the Americans were only reminded of the friend that they had lost.

"Man, I really miss Elizabeth," Nico said as he leaned back in Cell Thirteen. "It's so much quieter here without her."

"I know," Rock agreed. "I feel like we shouldn't even be celebrating the Fourth of July today."

"What's the big deal with that?" Uno asked. "I mean, you're celebrating your separation from an awesome country there, Rock."

"The Fourth of July represents freedom in America," Rock told Uno. "It represents our independence and that's something to celebrate."

"Whatever you say," Uno replied.

"Besides, it usually has cookouts and fireworks at night," Nico chimed in.

"You can make a lot of good food on a grill," Rock explained. "Plus, in most cases, the fireworks displays were really beautiful. I used to love watching them."

"I know, me too," Nico agreed. "There weren't really any prisons that would celebrate the holiday, though. I don't think any did, aside from one of them giving me red, white, and blue food. It wasn't even that good."

"D'you think Nanba's going to do anything?" Rock asked.

"Probably not," Jyugo reasoned. "It is a Japanese prison, after all."

"Yeah, but with Elizabeth gone, they might decide it's a good morality boost," Nico put in.

"Fireworks would be very pretty," Uno mused. "Think we should ask Hajime?"

Rock shook his head. "Seitarou'd be more willing to hear us out. Besides, Elizabeth was American. If we appeal to the side of the missing inmate, we might get this."

"You want to use her to get fireworks?!" Uno demanded. "Rock, that's sick!"

Rock shook his head adamantly. "No! I just meant that maybe Elizabeth would like it. She's American, so it would be a Fourth of July celebration in her honor!"

"That's a good idea!" Nico chimed in. "We need to find Seitarou!"

Luckily for them, Seitarou was walking through the halls and heard his name mentioned.

"Is everything okay?" Seitarou asked, looking into the cell.

"Seitarou!" Nico exclaimed giddily. "We have an idea!"

"What is it?" Seitarou asked.

"We want to celebrate the Fourth of July tonight," Rock told him. "I mean, Elizabeth's American, so wouldn't this be a good way to celebrate her?"

"We can have pretty fireworks!" Nico chimed in.

"That does sound like a fair idea," Seitarou replied. "I'll take this up with Supervisor Sugoroku, alright? Maybe he'll like the idea."

"Hajime's just going to say no," Uno whined.

"Eleven, you aren't even American. You're British," Seitarou reminded him.

"But I've been to America," Uno whined. "And fireworks are pretty."

Seitarou sighed. "I'll take it up with Supervisor Sugoroku."

In Building Three, during lunch, Honey had gone to see Kiji.

"Kiji, you have to talk to Trois," Honey demanded in the guard room of Building Three.