Chapter Sixteen: Possibilities

Elizabeth kept on avoiding the game room, hoping that she could stay away from Trois after her outburst. She really didn't want to be around him now, not after she had yelled at him while crying. It would be too embarrassing, too painful.

"Trois, are you alright?" Honey asked later.

Trois had been trembling as they had walked back to their cell, completely silent. He was now sitting down, staring off into space.

Trois looked at Honey when he had called his attention. "I'll be fine."

"Trois, I'm worried about you," Honey admitted. "You were finally back to normal and then that happened. I don't want something to happen to you again. Are you sure you'll be fine?"

Trois sighed. "Honey, it was one incident. Truth be told, I feel a little bad for Elizabeth."

"Why do you feel bad for her?"

Trois stared at his hands as he talked, "Because she was gone for four months and in a horrible situation while we were here. Things might have turned out differently if she hadn't been taken or if she had returned earlier, but she didn't. I feel bad because I moved on and she didn't have the chance to. None of this is her fault, Honey, it's mine."

"Don't think like that," Honey ordered. "You made the right choice, Trois. Don't beat yourself up for it. It isn't your fault at all, nor is it hers. Things just. . . happened, is all."

"Thank you, Honey," Trois told him, smiling slightly. "You're a good friend."

"Of course, Trois," Honey replied. "I'll always be here to help you out."

In Building Four, Kenshirou was talking with Six-thirty-four about Seventeen's return. He had told the inmate a while ago, but they wanted to discuss it.

"So now we've got no way to get Elf back here," Musashi confirmed.

Kenshirou nodded. "Unfortunately, no. At least Seventeen is back and safe. Perhaps you two could share stories."

"Elizabeth already knows my story," Musashi told Kenshirou.

"Well maybe you could hear hers and compare notes," Kenshirou suggested. "It might give us some clues as to how we're going to catch the man who framed you."

"Possibly. When can you have the conversation set up?"

"I'll have to talk to Hajime about it. If he agrees, we can have the conversation set up as soon as tomorrow."

"What do you mean 'if he agrees?' Won't he automatically agree?"

"It's hard to tell with Hajime. It depends on his mood. I just hope I can catch him in the right mood."

"I hope so, too."

At breakfast the next morning, Cell Thirteen sat with Elizabeth like usual.

"So cool cuffs," Jyugo told her. "Are they like the shackles that I have?"

"In a way. . ." Elizabeth mumbled. "I can summon claws when I need them, but I don't ever want to use them."

"Why not?" Nico asked. "That sounds so cool!"

Elizabeth glared at Nico. "Because they're intended for me to use them as a weapon, Nico. I was kidnapped and forced to have these damn things. If I could get rid of them, I would. I hate them. They're a constant reminder of the four months that I spent in captivity. How would you feel?"

"Bad," Nico replied, looking down guiltily. "I'm sorry, Elizabeth."

"It's okay," Elizabeth told Nico. "Just try to be a little more sensitive in the future, alright?"