Torture

-~-~-Travis-~-~-

Katie said breathlessly, "I. . . I didn't know."

I had NO idea what she meant by that. "What do you mean?"

"Follow me."

I followed her. I still had no idea of what was going on. She took me to that part of the beach. I had almost forgotten about it. (A/N I had forgotten about it.) We sat there.

She finally said, "Did you sing that because it described yourself?"

I replied, "What do you think?"

"Travis, I think one thing, but I don't want to think it."

"I already told you how I felt."

"I need more time."

"I know."

A long pause followed.

I didn't know why she was hesitating. I could tell she wanted this to be real, but I couldn't figure her out. She always seemed so shy and harmless, but everyone at camp knew better. She could be happy one second and be ready to kill the next. She could be warming up to me one second and be building walls the next. It was torture.

"Would you kill 1 to save 100?" Katie asked.

"Yes," I replied surely.

"Would you kill 2,000 to save 3,000?"

"Maybe. I think so. Why these questions?"

"Would you kill 1,000 to save 1,001?"

"Maybe. Why?"

"I had this type of choice during the Titan War."

"What did you choose?"

"I made the wrong decision."

"Which was?"

"The leader of the legion we were fighting gave me a choice: Save Rose and let the battle go on, or stop the battle and kill Rose."

"You chose to save Rose?"

"Yeah." Katie was close to tears by now.

"It's okay."

"It's not. I could've saved cabins of kids, just given Rose up. She thought it was her fault. They killed her anyway in the end. I said to let her go. I should've known."

"Either way people would have died. You shouldn't have anything on your shoulders."

"That's what you think." At this point Katie was full on crying. I put my arm around her. To my surprise, she melted into my embrace. When did I get so poetic? I should've said she hugged me back. Too late now. You can't take back thoughts.

I tried comforting her, but she cried more. I eventually realized that she wanted to let it all out.

Katie whispered, "I never thought I would tell someone. The dead keep their secrets."

"Not with Nico around."

She laughed. "You're not good at comforting."

"Yes I am. You stopped crying."

She laughed again. "Stop making me laugh! It's not helping me get over this."

"You're right."

"Thank you."

"But I know what will."

"No. Please no."

I kissed her. She kissed me back. The kiss got deeper until I broke away.

"I thought you were going to do something terrible like tickle me."

"What a wonderful idea."

"I had to say it. Didn't I?"

I laughed. It suddenly struck me that she didn't pull back or hit me for kissing her. "Do you still need time?"

"A kiss isn't going to change that."

The brightness in my face faded as if it were never there.

She continued, "It will however help your case."

I smiled. It was a real smile, not a fake smirk to hide my real feelings. A real smile. Being with her, but not being with her wasn't so torturous anymore.

'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*'*

Sorry if 'torturous' isn't a word.