The Beginning (Chapter One)

MATT
I never met my parents. I was way too little to have possibly met the people who put me through a lot of pain at a very young age. The only thing I know about them is that they abandoned me by a filthy alley when I was a few months old. I learnt to take care of myself at a very young age. Foster homes were the worst for me. It all sounds so cliché.

I spend most of my days working at an ice-skating rink. I'm ever grateful to the owner, Mr. Ben White, who took me in when I was 14 and totally convinced that I was done with foster care.

SCOTT
Waking up to an exquisite morning; totally perfect weather in Boston today. I step out to the balcony of the penthouse I'm staying in and feel a soft wind go through my hair.

It's today. The defining moment of my career. I've waited so long for this after training all my life in a gym my dad set up when I first showed interest in gymnastics, with the help of the best coach ever - Coach Xander. My dad's gym became one of the best in the US as he was able to get the best equipments, hire the most experienced and the best team for training kids.

I've never been on a major competitive ground like this though, so I'm a little bit nervous. I've seen what Cheng, my only competition from Seattle looks like. Not to brag but, let's face it, my degree of difficulty is also way up there, you might as well just send me off to the Olympics.

I take out my phone and quickly go through my messages. There's a very sentimental but encouraging text from my mom. I dial her number.

I know I'm pathetic. Who calls their mom and doesn't have a partner at my age? But hey, don't judge me; being cooped up with Coach Xander doesn't exactly allow for a social life. The only people I know asides my parents and coach, are the people I train with. One of them is my best friend - Kevin Porter. We've been friends for thirteen years. We made arrangements to go for warm ups today together. I make a mental note to call him after I speak to Mom.

"Morning Sweetheart, I hope you slept well."

"Hey mom. Yeah I slept okay"

"Good luck at warm ups today."

"Thanks. Please tell me you and dad will be there to cheer for me." I pout for a second. Someone knocks on my door.

"Room service"

I open the door and a woman wearing a white shirt with black pants, pushes a silver trolley of food into the room. It all looks and smells exquisite. A jug of orange juice, a jar of jam, nutella, a huge plate of scrambled eggs, loaves of bread. My mom must have recommended this to the hotel for me - it's my favourite kind of breakfast. I love her.

"Mom please hold on" I say, then turn to the woman.

"Please, do you have sandwich bags?"

"I could get you some." The woman says, beaming at me.

"Thank you". She exits.

"Hey mom, I'm back. That was room service. What were you saying?"

"Oh great! Make sure you eat a good amount of food. I'll take the first flight down immediately I finish up some work here. I'll be there as fast as I can. I just spoke with Coach Xander. You're in good hands baby. And umm, Scott, your dad won't be able to make it." Mom says.

"That's okay. I'm not surprised. Gotta go. Love you." I hang up. My dad is always super busy with work. I know he cares but, sometimes, it's just frustrating that he's never around to cheer for me at training. And now today, a very important day. Whatever.

I make five nutella with jam sandwiches. I eat one, finish my scrambled eggs and drink a hefty amount of juice; it's delicious.

Someone knocks on my door again. It must be the room service again. I open the door to the same woman and see a name tag on her shirt that reads "Stella". She hands me a brown paper sandwich bag.

"Thank you Stella." She smiles and leaves the room.

I put the four sandwiches in the bag and fold it, then I pick up my phone and call Kevin. The phone rings thrice.

"Hey Scott", he doesn't sound like himself.

"Are you ready? Let's head out."

"I just woke up man. How are you ready this early? You're not nervous are you?" He laughs a little.

"Ha-ha. Very funny. I'm on my way to your floor."

I go for a quick shower and finish in record time. I put on a grey t-shirt, black gym shorts, sneakers and then, grab my duffel bag that contains all my necessities. I walk to the door on the very beautiful marble floors. My dad really outdid himself getting the penthouse for me - it's literally so expensive here. I step out and the door locks itself. I smirk to myself.

Getting into the elevator, I press 25 for Kev's floor. As the elevator dings and opens, I find Kevin standing in front of me. His long, mousy hair is slicked back with a strand in front; just like Superman.

"You do remember that your hair won't be this great after training right?" I say, laughing like crazy when he frowns and scoffs at me. He gets in the elevator and presses the ground button.

"Well at least I have more of an opportunity getting the ladies than you've got getting the guys." Yes, I'm gay and out to everyone, my parents, my gym partners and obviously my best friend. They all took it too well, I'm still amazed at how lucky I am.

Kevin eyes my paper bag suggestively.

"Don't even think about it. This is mine for later. But, I might be able to spare you one or two. Ugh. I'll have to go somewhere to eat anyway."

The elevator opens and we walk to the foyer, finding all our teammates sitting and talking. In a corner, we see Coach Xander talking to a man, mid forties probably, in a sharp black suit. I guess he works here, at the hotel. We weren't so early after all.

The hotel, and Coach Xander had made arrangements for a tour bus to take us to the gymnasium. Just when I thought I could do a little sightseeing. We all get in. Kevin and I sit next to each other. I sit by the window. Kevin starts talking to two of our teammates, Brian and Tom as the bus moves, so, I put my earbuds in and play Bright Lights by Thirty Seconds to Mars. They're one of my favourite bands.

The bus stops at the entrance of the gymnasium and we get down. I look over at Kevin and he's already taking selfies. Lol. He takes one with me and forces me to take his pictures. Coach Xander hollers.

"Will you stop admiring yourself for five seconds, Kevin?" Everyone laughs, Kevin rolls his eyes.

"Gather 'round everyone." Coach says smiling.

"Now, you all know I'm terrible at giving pep talks. Just go in, put all your hearts into what you'll be doing today. Don't forget you've waited all your lives for this. After this, you'll be taking much bigger steps." We all cheer and start walking into the gymnasium.

As we enter, I'm stunned. This place seats about two hundred thousand people, if not more. There are lights everywhere, everything looks so fancy. Exactly how I dreamed. I look up and see the big screens. The apparatuses are being prepped by officials. People are bustling everywhere making sure things are in order. We see some gymnasts doing stretches, jumping jacks and the likes.

I speak in an extremely fake British accent to Kevin. "Let's do this mate!" I say, putting an extra silly stress on "mate".

"You're crazy." He says with a serious face but then he bursts out laughing. I join him immediately.