Darkness (Chapter Eight)

[You thought the last chapter was painful to read? It's not over. This chapter contains some acts of violence, read with caution.]

Songs of the Chapter:
Cry by Lea Michele
Vienna by Ultravox
Great Wide Open by Thirty Seconds to Mars

MATT
How could things go so wrong in one's life? Just when you think "how much worse than this could things get?" Life literally laughs and twists things in such a way that you just want to die. Here's a story of how much worse my life got.

After that scandal, Ben never saw me the same way. I tried to explain myself on several occasions but he kept waving me off. I was being put at arm's length by him and I could feel it all the time. Even Evan too changed slightly towards me. I guess Ben already told him what happened. Every waking day felt like walking on eggshells.

At some point, I thought that James and Sarah weren't involved in plotting against me. Then, I remembered the overly suspicious two hundred dollar bills that Sarah gave me. I should have known; Sarah and James almost never buy food when they're around. They're completely stingy humans. I start deliberating if confronting them is a great idea while touching my face where Ben slapped me. It kills me that Ben and I haven't gotten a strong level of trust. My mind, body and soul wants to beat the shit out of the three demons but, One, I don't have the physical energy to take on three of them. Two, I don't want to risk Ben catching me doing anything bad. I decide to stay put.

That was until...

"Punk!" Susan gives me a hard shove and I fall to the ground.

"What the hell is your damn problem with me?!" My voice is high-pitched and scratchy.

"You put me in so much trouble, I never got a chance to explain myself, I didn't do anything to you to deserve this! So why?! You psychopath!" My eyes are filled with tears and I'm sure I'm red all over.

She just walks away smirking.

"Answer me!!"

"I don't need to." She flips her hair as she goes. I run after her. She stops and looks back.

"Oh what are you going to do? Beat me up?" She smiles.

"You listen to me and listen real good. I don't know what devil ran into you and locked itself into your soul. Know this, I'm coming for you." I say, giving what feels like my best glare. She yawns.

"Understood. Watch your back dude cos I'm real close and you have no idea what I'm capable of." She says with a small devilish chuckle.

●●●

Later that evening, Ben announced that he'll be going for a short meeting and won't be long. He leaves immediately. Sarah and James leave almost immediately after he does. I don't see the short devil anywhere and that's when I smell it - gasoline.

I follow the smell quickly and stop at the entrance of the store room. I open the door and see her there. As huge as the store room is, I find everything covered in gas. Mr. Ben hired a killer psychopath! I find that the gas also extends to other places in the rink and I scream in horror. This is too much!

"Susan, please, I'm begging you. Don't do this please." She only laughs, flicks the lighter on and lets it drop. Everything goes up in flames and she runs away quickly, the fire catching on some pieces of her clothing. I run for dear life and see fire - everywhere. The fire surprisingly travels really fast, destroying everything in its way. I call the fire service, stating the problem and I quickly head to my room, grabbing my duffel bag and a few valuables. I try to get some things from Ben's office but it's covered in flames; I couldn't even get in.

I don't understand this lady's need to ruin my life. It's completely over for me now. I start crying, my head pounding from the pain I feel in my chest. Running out of the rink, the feeling of impending doom comes upon me as I see Ben running over with a crazy look on his face. Susan runs to him immediately, crying.

"Mr. White, I tried to stop him but he's gone totally mad. I did my best to get your safe and some documents out." What in the -

"You've done it now boy!" Ben screams, slapping me for the second time and he lets his frustration go. I receive a few punches. I get my lip bust open and fall to the ground. Then, I receive a few gut-wrenching kicks to my ribs and stomach. I spot Evan nearby shaking his head.

Ben spits on the floor close to me and says
"I'm frigging done with you, you good for nothing piece of shit! If I ever see you around here or around me again, you'll have hell to pay! Be thankful I ain't calling the cops!!" He storms off.

"Ev.. E... Ev-an" I try to stretch my hand out for help but it hurts, a lot. He looks at me with pity then says

"I can't train you anymore Matt. You've done quite enough. I can't risk my name mixed with scandals, neither can I risk everything I've worked for. Sorry pal." He walks away too.

I see James and Sarah from the corner of my eyes talking to Susan

"What the fuck Susan? You took it way too far this time!" Sarah says looking horrified.

"Well, he's finally out of my way. That's all I care about." Susan says looking unapologetic.

"You idiot, you've put us out of a job now!" James says.

"Hmph!" Susan simply says. She crosses over me, her shoe connects with my head and she keeps walking away. I feel an explosion in my head and the physical pain doesn't hurt as much as the pain of injustice, distrust and abandonment. I cough up blood a couple of times; every cough hurting more than the last one. I pick myself up and start walking.

In a matter of minutes, I lost everything important to me. I weep bitterly. I still don't understand it! Why? Just why? Why is it always me? Can I ever be happy? What's the point in living? So many questions... There's nothing left here for me. Better to just end it all now rather than going through the agony of starting to go up only to come crashing down. Nothing I ever do will result in happiness. I think of the best way to end my own life. I make my way to a bridge closeby.

The night is so dark tonight, you'd think it was a coalpit. No stars twinkling - just great, well, that's a sign. I stand on the edge of the bridge watching the whole city, waters below, tears still flowing brutally down my face. I'll admit, the thought and realization of what I'm about to do is scary.

I look back and notice I've gathered a little crowd. They don't come close though. A woman who looks to be in her thirties or forties steps forward slowly with her hands up and says

"Hi, I'm Lea. I don't know what you must have gone through but please don't do it. Please don't." She whispers to someone to call 911.

I don't reply her words. I merely turn completely. They all gasp and start murmuring when they see my bloodied clothes and face. Ashamed, I just let go, let myself go, and I start the free fall into the waters, falling backwards. The last thing I hear is the woman's scream

"CALL 911!! TELL THEM TO HURRY!!"

DARKNESS.

SILENCE.

PEACE...

Woohoo!! Two chapters in one day for my loves. Please tell me what you think in the comment section. THANK YOU FOR READING. PLEASE CONSIDER VOTING. THANK YOU ❤