Where are You? (Chapter Four)

Song of the chapter: One Day At a Time by Sam Smith

MATT
It's officially been two months and three days since the first day I saw - you know who. I'm not about to let go of my self-esteem describing how I've pictured a perfect world for the two of us. One thing that is real right now is the fact that I now work with Evan Lysacek! He gave me a call about a month ago and ever since then, I've had skating training at his rink (HE HAS A RINK!) from 9am till 6pm on weekdays. We're exhausted most of the time. We have been working on creating a routine for my first competition ever; ISU Junior Grand Prix. I've got weekends off to relax and recover (well, not exactly, because I still work at the rink anyway).

The crazy part about working with Evan is, he's trying to help me learn two different flips which could become my signature moves. The first move is a triple axel into a half loop and then a triple lutz. The second move is a quadruple axel. I remember my crazy laughter that day.

[Flashback]
"How is that even humane?" I look at him like he has grown two heads.

"It is possible, with enough training and hardwork on your part. You do know for a fact that those are power moves which will increase your score especially if your grade of execution is very high, right?" Evan says with a little smile.

"And when I'm in the process of doing it, I'll break my neck and die or my spine and never skate again." I mumble under my breath. He laughs.

"First of all, I heard that. Second, do you want to make a difference? Be able to live a better life? Cos this is the only way to do so."

"What about quad salchows and quad toes?" Even those are still scary.

"You think Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen are going to let you snag the gold so easily? You need something fresh and never been seen if you want to make it to the Olympics, Mr."

I sigh loudly. "I see my death already but okay."

So, Evan was serious. During the weekdays, I don't get to do anything but train. I've fallen so many times during training to the point that I'm now accustomed to it. I remember Ben's words, telling me to take this very seriously and I could make a real career out of this. I'm still reeling over the kindness shown to me by Ben. I still help out a little with cleaning the rink on weekdays but not to Ben's knowledge.

Every day of training, I get an hour off to eat, do whatever to regain my strength and then come back for another series of torture. Was there a point in my life where I thought skating was lovely? I don't think so anymore. During my one-hour break, I've formed a ritual. I always eat at the bistro where I met, you know who and listen to music wondering where he is. Well, I guess that confirms the fact that he's not from around here.

I'm transported back to the here and now when Evan throws me a bottle of water and sends me off for my break. I catch it and thank him with a little smile. I start the walk to the bistro. I haven't been seeing much of my friends so I call Sonya to meet me at the bistro and to bring Mike.

While sitting and waiting for my friends, I took the liberty of ordering lunch for the three of us. Thankfully, I can pay for it. Although it will cut back my savings. I'm not complaining though. They've done quite a lot for me as friends. When I started working with Evan, Sonya got me a costume. A white shirt with cowboy details and a pair of fitted black pants. Nothing over the top but beautiful nonetheless. I think I cried a little.

 I think I cried a little