Finals (Chapter Twenty-Eight)

Songs of the Chapter:
Aftermath - Rob Simonsen
Little League - Conan Gray
Live Like a Dream - Thirty Seconds to Mars
You Are in Love - Taylor Swift

MATT
I woke up with a smile as I felt a kiss planted on the nape of my neck. Scott.

"Good morning"

"Hey baby. Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah...", I say with hesitation. I did sleep amazingly well, especially because I slept off spooning with Scott but, today marks the day of the finals. Sometime that evening, I would either be a medalist or be a disaster after messing everything up, knowing my luck.

Scott hugged me and kissed my hair.

"You can do it. Don't doubt yourself. I've seen you out there on the ice. It's like you're on another planet. In your own world. Rule that world of yours again"

"When did you get into motivational speaking? Ha!" I tease.

"I'm serious though. I believe in you and I love you so much." He said, with a dopey look and a twinkle in his eyes.

"Now, get up! We don't wanna be late". I grunted in response.

I eventually got up and went for a hot shower.

When I got out, Scott had a small sandwich and a glass of milk in hand for me. Or so I thought.

He took a sip out of the glass and bit into the sandwich.

"Hey, where's mine?!" I whined.

"Oh this is yours. I'm just tasting to see if it's good enough."

"Good enough? That was a huge bite!" I slapped his arm. The milk spilled, a little, on the floor. I grabbed the food immediately from his hands and munched on the sandwich first then gulped down the milk.

"Are you like pregnant or something? That was crazyyy fast!"

"You wish I wasssss, sucker!" We both laughed.

He came closer and put his arms around me, engulfing me.

"I love you, Matt. I really do." He said seriously.

"And I love you, Scott." We kissed.

☆☆☆

I got dressed in my TEAM USA track suit and went to the car with Lea and Scott. I'm sure I had a solemn look because Lea reached over to pat my shoulders

"It's okay, M. You'll do just great! Have confidence. Throw fear out the window. You're going to shine." I smiled at that.

"Thank you"

The car arrived at the venue.

"This is the last battle, Matt. You can do it." Lea hugged me.

Lea and Scott immediately went to get their seats. I saw the US team bus. Chris was coming down with a smile on his face when he saw me. He approached me immediately.

"I've just been told by Coach Anderson that the Olympic Committee wants me to do a Gala performance! I'm super excited!"

"That's awesome Chris! Congratulations!" I gave him a hug.

"Thanks! Well, good luck today. I wish you the best."

"Thank you." I said shakily.