X & Y (Chapter Eleven)

"X and Y is the mathematical formula used when you don't know the answer.
But, it's also like black and white, or hope and despair, or optimism and pessimism. Everywhere you look there's a tension of opposites." - Chris Martin

MATT
The first thing on my mind as I wake up this morning is "why me?" Why did my life start out so horribly? Why is it that everytime something good happens to me, life just snatches it away? Why me?!

I don't dwell much on that thought as I hear a faint knock on my door.

"Hey Matt. You up?" Scott whispered. Rolling my eyes, I go to the door to find him leaning on the wall.

"What do you want? It's barely morning." It's six in the morning genius! How am I up anyway?

"I thought you'd like to join me on a hike."

"What makes you think so?" I've got to keep up this front. I can't let him back in so fast. Wait... what?

"Well I was hoping you'd come with me." Who is this guy and why does he enjoy leaving me so confused?! One minute, he likes me, the next he's got a boyfriend.

"I'd rather not. Thanks."

"My physical therapist put this on my daily to-do list along with some other stuff I'd rather not waste my time on. I have to do this so I get back to training. I really want you to go with me. Pretty please?" He asked with the cutest puppy eyes. Ugh.

"Okay."

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! Go take a shower and meet me outside, k?" I nodded in response.

I take a quick shower and put on a black t-shirt and a pair of black shorts, given I don't have a lot of clothes. I open my door and make my way towards the front door.

"Heading out?" To say I was startled would be an understatement.

"Mrs. Foley-"

"I told you it's Lea. Mrs. Foley just sounds old."

"Sorry. Umm, Scott asked if I would go on a hike with him."

"Oh I'm glad you guys are getting to know each other. That's nice." I smiled in response.

"Hey umm, we need to talk about a bunch of stuff and make a couple of arrangements but it can wait till you get back."

"Um okay." She walked off to where I think is her study, initiating a phone call. She sounded super upset about something. I heard her say she's not comfortable with the model's poses, she's going to fly out to Paris to correct that and they are having another shoot with a different model. She's probably working on the next issue of her magazine. Well, that's definitely my cue to leave and I made my way outside.

Scott gave me a boyish grin as I stepped out and walked towards him.

"Should you be carrying something heavy?" I frowned, noticing that he had a huge backpack on which had two water bottles on each side. He also had a walking stick for extra support.

"It's not that heavy. Also not that big of a deal." He shrugged.

"Well I feel kinda odd not carrying anything."

"Just walk Matt. That's all."

I started taking in my environment when we were surrounded by nothing but nature. Trees, shrubs, it almost felt like being in a disney cartoon where the princess says hi to the squirrels in the tree. I cringed.