Part 17: "I love you"

"Father has gone to get your things" Tom said to me as we were walking out of the hospital. After another 2 days, I was finally discharged. I was still in a bit of pain, but that was mostly heartache. I still couldn't process what had happened. The other Sisters had come and seen me and wished me luck. "Please come back and visit us my dear" they said. I couldn't say no. Even though we were not close, they were still my family. Sister Maria's burial was the day after tomorrow. "I'll come with you" Tom said to me as they told me. "No!" I snapped then instantly regretted it. "Sorry...I want to go on my own" I said looking up apologetically at him. "It's okay".

Mr Bennett was outside with the car. "Ah y/n! Good to see you" he smiled while gently hugging me. "Good to see you too sir" I said hugging him back. "May I?" Tom asked as he held the door handle. Mr Bennett nodded. Tom started opening the door for me when I saw Jack running towards me. I quickly opened the door the rest of the way and got in, closing it behind me. I didn't want to see him. I still hadn't forgiven him for not fighting my corner. Tom saw and got in beside me. "Y/n please!" Jack shouted while knocking on the window. He tried to open the door but Mr Bennett had also realised what was happening and locked it. "Thank you" I whispered while sobbing into Tom's chest. I knew I was hurting Jack but then again, he had hurt me. "Shh, it's okay darling" Tom said into my hair.

I fell asleep on the way back. "Y/n, we're here" I heard Tom whisper but I was so tired that it was hard to open my eyes. That's when Tom's strong arms came around me and carried me inside. "Is she okay?" Paddy said as he ran up to us. "She is very tired hence why I'm carrying her as she's asleep" Tom said in a hushed tone. That was the last thing I could remember before going back into my deep slumber.

I was awoken by a wet tongue licking my face. "Hey Tessa" I smiled while pulling my hand out to stroke her. She continued licking my hand until Tom came in. "Tessa, get here now" he said in a giggly tone. "Sorry, I didn't want her to wake you. I thought you needed the rest" he said stroking her. "I'll be back" he said as he took her down stairs. I heard his footsteps come back up. I turned over so I was facing the door. "Sorry" he apologised again. "It's okay" I laughed slightly. I slowly got up out if bed. "What are you doing?" Tom asked as he rushed to my side to help me. "I need the loo" I laughed. "Oh okay" He said as he helped me into the bathroom. "Thank you" I said closing the door.

As I came out, Tom was sat on my bed with my breakfast. "You didn't have to" I mumbled while walking back. "I wanted to" he started. I knew what was coming next but I stopped him. "I love you Tom so much, I do. But we need to take it slow okay? I'm still trying to process everything. But please, no more secrets and you have to promise me you want to be with me". I looked down at the floor as I said this. "There's nothing in this world more that I want than you. I'm sorry for what I did. I regret it so much. And we can take it as slow as you want" he said coming to sit next to me. His hand rested on my cheek. I lent in and kissed his soft lips.