Part 18: "She would be so proud of you"

"Now are you sure you don't want any of us to come with you?" Mrs Holland asked. It was the day of Sister Maria's funeral. "I'm sure. Thank you though" I said sadly while leaving the house. Paddy came and hugged me before I left. Mr Bennett was waiting with the car. He kindly offered to take me and wait for me too. "Thank you" I said as I was getting into the car. As we were driving away, I pulled out a piece of paper and started reading it. It was a reading. All the sisters wanted me to say something. It took me ages to figure out what. When I finally decided, I quickly wrote it down so I wouldn't forget. A few tears started to escape my eyes and I had to stop. "How am I meant to get through this?" I thought to myself.

"I'm not sure I can do this" I thought to myself as we approached the Abbey. The funeral was being held in the Abbey's Church because it was her home and she would have loved it very much. "I need to run a few errands but I will be back to pick you up" Mr Bennett said as I got out the car. "Thank you sir" I replied. I walked up to the church doors and I could see all the Sisters waiting. As they saw me approach, Sister Monica-Joan came up and hugged me. "My dearest y/n. I'm so sorry" she said crying. I couldn't help but cry too. "Let's go and sit, the service is about to start" she said taking me hand as we walked to our seats.

The Vicar started talking and I just zoned out. I was still in shock that this had happened. I was quickly brought out of my thoughts when he said "y/n, daughter of Sister Maria, would now like to say a few words". "Daughter" I thought. I felt a lump forming in my throat. I slowly got up and walked to the front of the church. "Sister Maria has, had, been my mother for 21 years. She took me in when no one else would". I could feel tears escaping. I didn't know how much longer I could keep it together. "She supported me throughout everything and also helped me through the bad times. I wish I could tell her one last time that I love her". And that was it, I was gone. I collapsed on the floor sobbing my heart out. I felt a strong pair of arms around me. I looked up and it was Tom. "It's okay darling. You did amazingly. She would be so proud of you" he said while hugging me tightly.