48. TakeRei Confessions [Take #6]

"Are you going to jump?"

Rei flinched at the sudden voice behind him. The darkness of the night had blinded him, making him think he was alone. A hospital in the dead of the night-- a horror movie icon, but Rei didn't think something other than ghosts would follow his trail.

His hand gripped the steel fence barrier of the hospital roof-- he bit his bottom lip and could only manage a light chuckle.

"Course not," he lied, "these things don't exactly open."

Why would the hospital roof have an opening? so people could just find the time to jump off? Rei came up here knowingly, but really-- why did he come up here? There wasn't even a view to glamour-- it was the dead of the night.

"Just wanted to see something other than white for once," he decided to settle with that excuse, "I mean, it's pretty boring being confined to a bed. What about you, Takeshi?"

Takeshi, his smile wiped off his face-- the smile that was just a fake farce-- he isn't wearing it-- I am. Me, smiling instead of him-- I'm the liar this time, not him.

"You were honestly considering it?" Takeshi raised an eyebrow.

"You're one insensitive bastard, ain't you?" Rei laughed, a genuine chortle coming from his throat. "Maybe I was, I don't know anymore."

Takeshi was right behind Rei now. Maybe he feared-- feared that Rei would just-- fuse right through that steel fence and just fall-- it was so impossible, but knowing Rei the reckless magician, he could do a little magic, and in a moment Takeshi would be watching Rei die.

Was Takeshi being paranoid? Biting down his fake pretense of a smile, his brows furrowed.

"What's wrong, Rei?" Takeshi voiced the words, deep concern in every syllable. 

Rei leaned back onto Takeshi's chest, "Nothing much."

Nothing much, he thought, remembering just moments ago he bolted right up from bed with a gasp and barely suppressing a scream, his eyes wide and torn, his brain exploding in pain, his heart pumping cold and everything was just-- confusion. 

He was drowning-- he was dying, calling for someone desperately as fear plagued him and pain sealed his train of thought-- but no, that was not him, not Rei. That was Drew and that was but a dream. A dream, a dream-- really?

"Nothing much," he reminded himself and he pulled up a smile for Takeshi, hoping Takeshi would just buy his poker face this time, "Just a nightmare. Nothing much."

"Your face does NOT say it's nothing much!" Takeshi snapped, his hand taking Rei by the shoulder roughly. "Rei, just look at me, please."

And Rei did; and regretted it right away.

Takeshi looked so hurt. 

So, so hurt-- and Rei could only tear up after that. "Please don't ask," Rei choked out, "Just don't," he wiped his tears away, "I'll be fine in a bit."

Warm arms engulfed him. Rei was surprised for a moment as he received a very tight-- possessive embrace from the back-- 

"Takeshi?" he asked.

"Just-" Takeshi sounded like he was going to cry, "Don't do it, okay?"

"I wasn't planning on it," Rei denied.

"I'll stop you from doing it." Takeshi spoke up again.

"I told you I wasn't-"

"I'll do it no matter how many times you do it." Takeshi remained firm, and although Rei couldn't see Takeshi's face from here-- he could tell Takeshi was glowering angrily. His voice was deep and stern, not a joke in his aftertone.

"...Promise?" Rei whimpered, the tears escaping him again.

Without an answer from Takeshi, Rei found himself falling backward. Takeshi, hugging him from behind, had pulled him down to sitting. Rei ended up cradled between Takeshi's legs-- and Takeshi, burying his face onto Rei's shoulder, did not say anything.

So Rei too, he did not say anything.