2~ THE OKORIES

Haha! Ngozi can do that oo! (look up)

The Okories were the richest family in Raul street until the Okonkwos moved in. The Okories lived in one of the biggest houses in Raul street, but the Okonkwo’s house surpassed theirs. The Okonkwos had seriously expensive cars that made the Okorie’s look like tricycles next to them. Therefore, the Okorie’s first lady didn't like them.

“Ngozi! Ngozi!” Ruby, who was popularly called Madam Okorie called her eldest daughter as she burst into their house, her car keys dangling in her hands.

Ruby was a boutique owner in Lekki and she was proud of it because it was striving well, but what irked her was that the Okonkwos also had a family boutique and it was outrunning hers, even on social media.

Ngozi Okorie was a light-complexioned beautiful girl, her beauty was beholding. She had won the Raul’s festival beauty contest twice. “Ngozi!” Ruby called, stomping her feet on the floor. She paced, impatient.

Ngozi finally came out through a set of twin doors made from fine wood: mahogany. “Yes mommy, you called” she said breathlessly. “Yes mommy you called” Ruby mimicked, “what were you doing?” “Washing my clothes” Ngozi replied. Ruby’s eyes almost bulged out of her head as she looked at her daughter. She actually paled.

“Do you want to kill yourself? Why didn't you give the maids? You this girl! You will not disgrace me! What will those mannerless Okonkwos say when they get to know you are washing your own clothes? You! A whole Okorie! Ehn! What will the Okonkwos—“. Ngozi cut her off, “mom, is this about the Okonkwos?” She rolled her eyes. Ruby glared at her. “Look at your mouth. Anyway thats not the reason i called you. Why did you sell that gold watch at three hundred thousand? Ehn?! And that tiara too at five hundred thousand. I told u the gold watch is five hundred and the tiara is six fifty. Do you want me to go bankrupt and let those pompous Okonkwos mock me?”

Ngozi shook her head and sighed. “Mother, can you please stop mentioning that name? I’m sick and tired of hearing it! Argh!” She stomped off. “Come back here!” Ruby called after her. Ngozi didnt answer.

“Anyway, dont bring that your bow leg to my boutique again oo!” Ruby said after her, knowing that would infuriate Ngozi.

Ngozi has straight legs but she had a slight bow leg when she was little. Ruby uses that as a bait for her. Ngozi resumed her washing and her mind went back to the Okonkwos, particularly their eldest son, Steve.

She had seen him on various occasions but had never really had a chance to meet him and besides, she could not bear the wrath of her mother if she learnt that she, Ngozi likes one of the Okonkwo kids. They were both in 400 level and she learnt that he was studying Petrochemical Engineering, on the other hand she was studying Accounting.

There was a time she had come close to meeting him. She had taken Sheba; her German Shepherd for a walk. As she walked along the well-tidied street, she noticed Steve was fiddling with his car’s engine, her heart began to race and her mind went blank. He looked like he needed help but before she could call out to him to help him, he shut the bonnet, entered the car and drove off, not even sparing her a glance at all.

Ngozi never had the chance to see him again in a close view. Only stolen glances when he was home on holidays.

She followed him on social media and she became a stalker in love. With all this, she could not find courage to bare her feelings.

Ngozi sighed as she kept on washing. She wished her mother would stop whining about the Okonkwos. Her father was indifferent, he barely had time for such frivolities but her mother was bent on competing.

Ngozi was sure any of the Okonkwos didn't know about her mother’s competition with them. She wondered how her mom had managed to keep her jealousy alive for almost two and a half years. But if anything, she knew she got the determined side of hers from her mother. If she played her cards well, she would get Steve before or during the Raul festival.

.....
Who likes Ngozi?

Please don't forget to vote and comment. Your thoughts matters to me gannn!