23~Something less, Something more

The day was productive for Kemi. She had woken up with an iota of positive energy. Trying not to remember the heated argument she had with Peter, she got dressed in a white shirt and a knee-length floral pinafore with a pair of sneakers. She felt young. Peter had left home again without taking his breakfast. Not that she actually cared, oh hell, she actually cared. He could fall sick for not eating well.

Pushing those thoughts to the back of her mind. Kemi proceeded to Marian, her agent's office, for the meetings she had lined up.

Peter's words started to ring in her ears. You can't maintain a business.

She wished he was around so she could gloat in his face. She didn't even know how she felt about keeping her success as a secret. A part of her wants to prove to him that she can actually maintain a business and another part of her just wants to keep it to herself.

She didn't even know the point where he stopped being her number one cheerleader. Even though there was no much relationship between them when she exhibited her work the last time, he still supported her, though she didn't get profit as she hoped. Now the exhibition was paving way for her. Kemi was delighted.

After meeting with Aisha Buhari's representative and selling the painting she had made, she moved on to another meeting with the popular musician, Adekunle Gold, who wanted her to paint for his music video. After signing the necessary documents and striking the deal, she and Marian had gone out to celebrate. Kemi was so elated and the joy she derived brought an undescribable glow to her face.

Marian left and Kemi decided to go to the cinema. When last had she visited the cinema? She had always come with Peter on Saturday evenings, though not frequently, to watch movies.

It all seemed to be in the past now. She settled to watch the movie, 'Acrimony' and she didn't know how she felt after the movie ended. She felt angry, torn and didn't even know what opinion to give.

She was still thinking about the movie as she drove home. It had gotten late but she hoped that Peter would not be home yet. She certainly do not need anyone to add fuel to her already burning anger. Not that he actually cared.

Then Kemi's mind wandered to the heroine of the movie again and she started to compare her own life to that of the heroine, Melinda.

What ifs started to pop up in her mind.
What if I actually turn out like Melinda?
What if my marriage turns out the same?
Everything I have worked for...
The pains I have gone through...
What if Peter sees another woman?
What if he has already seen one?
Oh my!  My heart can't take this.

She drove into the compound and parked, waiting a little bit to collect herself. Strolling into the house, she found Peter in the living room, watching a movie with a glass of wine in his hand.

Without saying anything, Kemi walked in the direction of her room. She was just about to enter the hallway when Peter spoke up. "Care to tell me where you've been?"

Kemi continued walking without answering him.

"I am speaking to you, Kemi!" Peter shouted. Kemi jumped. She turned and fixed an angry glare on him. "Why the hell do you care? Just leave me alone."

"Leave you alone? You seem to forget you still live in my house."

"Oh wow. It's 'my house' now." Kemi laughed sarcastically and turned to leave. She had not taken three steps before she was roughly jerked back by Peter. "Do not walk out on me when we are talking."

Peter was holding her hand firmly but not tight enough to hurt. Kemi felt hot and bothered at their close proximity. "Release me, Peter. You are hurting me." She said through gritted teeth.

Peter released her, looking at everywhere but her. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah, you are." Kemi turned to leave, then she turned back again. "Hey, you know what? We can totally make this separation thing work. You don't want to be in this marriage but I want to be in this marriage, at least to save face—" she shrugged, "—so we do this... you do your thing, I do mine. We don't interfere in each other's business. Just be discreet if you wanna have affairs."

Peter felt disgusted.

"Is that what you were doing out there tonight?" He asked silently, staring intently at her.

What?!

Kemi kept an impassive face despite the hurt she felt at what he said. Is that what he thinks of me now?  She scoffed. "You don't even know half of it." She turned and left.

Peter suddenly felt weak. His hands were sweaty and numb. He slowly sat on the chair, staring at nothing in particular, but yet everything.

***

The next day, invitation letters to the Raul Festival were sent out to every family on Raul Street. The Adesanyas were sent two letters. One for the family, the other for Sarah.

Abayomi held his stomach in laughter as he read Sarah's letter. "Dear, you will be the one to say the opening prayer this year."

Tinu choked on her cornflakes. "Dad. Water." Abayomi passed her a cup of water. Sarah sat there with a wide grin on her face.

"Prayer does not kill. A person that  does not pray is a powerless person. In fact, this street needs prayers. Imagine just few days back, I saw those girls called slay mamas walking into that new bungalow. You need to see the piercings on the first girl's face. Numerous. Why would I take pin and be 'shooking' myself. Eyi po o (This is much). This life..."

...is beautiful. Tinu completed in her mind.
Her and Abayomi were silent as Sarah continued to rant.

Tinu was not even sure why her mom was angry. Is it because of the piercings or the fact that those ladies were the so-called slay queens?

"Dear, it's okay." Abayomi said, "It's their choice to make, not yours."

"It's not okay o. Are you supporting them? See my dear, I'm praying against all unseen forces that wants to dominate this street on that festival day."

Tinu stood up. She had heard enough.

"Where are you going? You better come and hear things that will benefit your future." Sarah said, looking at Tinu with one-sided eye.

Tinu smiled tightly. "Aww. Thanks mom. I'm good." Tinu shared a look with her dad who was trying to suppress a smile.

"Hmm. I am kuku saying my own!" Sarah exclaimed. Tinu just shook her head and left for her room.

...
It's about to get heated from here for the Odukoya's. Y'all should get ready.

Thanks for reading.
Remember to:
•vote
•comment
•recommend

Thank you.