25~steps

Thanks for reading this chapter.

Peter woke up with a splitting headache and being parched. He shifted in his bed and looked at the empty space beside him. He had not gotten used to Kemi's absence. He found he actually missed her low snores and her cute, weird sleep-talking. Peter turned away, shaking his head. The action brought pain to his already aching head. How can she even say we should do our own thing?

As if you are not also asking that you both go your own way? It's like you don't know what you want! You have been doing your own thing for the past months. You are locked her out of your life and this is how it feels when she decides to do the same to you. Fish head. His mind countered him. He had been having too many conversations with his mind recently.

Peter let out a long hiss. His mind always mocked him. He wore his indoor slippers and went out of the room. Walking down the stairs, a pleasant aroma wafted to his nose. He inhaled gently and made his way to the kitchen. He met Kemi washing the dishes.

Wait...

What?!

He was about to speak when Bisi came into the kitchen. "Good morning... Uncle..."

"Bisi, how are you? I hope you are fine... Hope you slept well..." Ever since he knew about her pregnancy, he had always made sure he asked how she felt. Everything must be okay with her.

"Fine sir." Bisi replied, looking up. Kemi did not even look their way. She was humming a song she was listening to with her earphones.

"Have you seen the doctor? Has your nausea stopped? Hope you aren't feeling any pain?"

"I haven't experienced nausea and I have seen my doctor. I'm fine." Bisi replied with a slight smile.

"Are you sure? You know you need to report any pain you feel to the doc-"

"The girl said she's fine!" Kemi suddenly said, not looking at them. She was still washing the dishes.

Bisi smiled, watching her guardians. Peter was trying to talk, not knowing what to say while Kemi just continued with the dishes.

"Uncle, I'm going to my mother's place today but I'm not returning today."

"Alright... Return soon. You know your convocation is next week." Peter said. Bisi went back to her room to get some things but Peter remained in the kitchen, staring unabashedly at Kemi. She was looking so fresh and beautiful. His gaze travelled to her bare legs and he let his eyes roam. She was wearing African prints shorts. Why? Why would Kemi do this to me? He complained inwardly as he stared at her behind, looking so round in her shorts.

Peter shook his head and picked a cup to get water. But where do all this thoughts come from? We don't even talk!

He drank the water and left the kitchen. His headache seemed to have fled. He went up to his room to get some cash for Bisi. Returning downstairs, he met Bisi by the front door. "Here," he said, handling over to Bisi a bundle of 1000 naira notes.

Bisi's eyes widened. "Ah uncle. This is too much."

Peter chuckled. "This is for your baby... Okay? Technically this is for you... So take good care of yourself and your baby. Be safe, okay? Make sure you give your mom too."

"Thank you Uncle..." Bisi thanked Peter and proceeded to leave. She opened the door and turned back to face Peter.
"Uncle, I always pretend like I don't know you and Aunty are quarreling... But I do. I really love you guys. Please whatever differences you have, please settle it. I have always looked up to you two as my model couple..." Bisi said, her eyes pleading.