29~Gobe

Steve hummed a song as he took two steps at a time towards the suite Ngozi's dad was put in. Ngozi and her mother had not returned home the previous day. Rounding the corner, he walked down the hallway that led to the suite. He held on tightly to the bags that contained foods, cosmetics and clothing for Ngozi and her mom. He had done some shopping for them with the help of his sisters.

Knocking lightly on the door, he opened it and peeked into the well furnished room. Ngozi was asleep on the three seater. Her head was resting on the arm of the chair with one of her hands under her head, while the other was balled on her stomach.

Steve chuckled lightly as he remembered his encounter with Ngozi's mom the previous day. After he had introduced himself as Steve Okonkwo, she had badgered him with questions like: Are you the son of the Okonkwos that live on Raul Street? Ruby then looked at Ngozi pointedly, no words were said but Steve knew a message had been passed.

Steve dropped the bag and removed a blanket from the things he bought and dropped it over Ngozi's body. Ruby came out of the room her husband was at that moment.

"Lover boy," She called. Steve looked up, surprised at the name she gave him but greeted her nonetheless. "Good morning ma," he bowed a little.

"What do we have here?" She asked, pointing to the things he bought. "Just... Er... Food and some clothes." Steve replied and looked behind him as he felt movement. Ngozi had woken up. She looked so cute rubbing her eyes and yawning that Steve couldn't help but take a mental picture. "Steve, hi." Her voice was raspy as if she had cried to sleep.

"Hi, Ngozi. I brought you a change of clothes and food, so up. Go refreshen up."

Ngozi looked into the polythene bags and smiled. "Thank you, Steve." Steve nodded shyly in reply, his lips twitching in a smile. He had made her smile. He felt happy.

Ngozi left for the bathroom with the polythene bag Steve handed over to her, leaving Steve and Ruby in the suite's living area.

"What's your deal with my daughter?" Ruby suddenly asked after few seconds of silence and Steve was not expecting it. He swallowed hard, adjusting on the settee he sat on.

"Well MA, I really like your daughter." Steve said. Ruby's brows quirked, "so you are the young man who has been courting my daughter? You are the one who has been messing with her head."

Steve bit his lip so as not to smile. Ruby's eyes narrowed as she stared hard at him. What's the deal with this Okonkwos? They took the title of being the richest away from us. They started a boutique shortly after I started mine. Now their son wants to steal my daughter! Mba! (No!)

"I don't think my daughter is who you want." Ruby started. Ngozi can have any other man, but not Steve. Steve's perplexed face met with hers. "What?!" Steve asked.

"Yes. I said what I said. I can't allow you suffer my daughter."

Suffer?

Steve sighed patiently. "Ma'am, you seem to have gotten all wrong. I am not the type to toy with your daughter. I have sisters too and I know how to treat a woman right, particularly the one that I want to be my girl."

Ruby sneered, "Sweet words only."

Steve cleared his throat. "I'm sorry ma'am but the perception that you have is all wrong. I am a Christian-"

"Oh, a brother. Brother in the Lord. So you want to say that all these times that you have been meeting, it's only Bible study and prayer meetings you have been doing?" Ruby asked, glaring at Steve.

Ahn ahn, what's this woman saying again? She is just off point. Steve sighed heavily, deciding not to talk again.

***