3~THE OKONKWOS

Awwwn. I want a Steve!

Steve Okonkwo stepped out of his room onto his balcony, typing very fast on his phone. He sat on the lounge chair and stretched his legs, still typing. He couldn't fathom why his own sister was behaving the way she was.

He chose to call her and speak into her stubborn mind. "Mary, what is wrong with you? Why are you being so obstinate?"

"Steve, see I'm sorry but Charles did really hurt me and I am not going to forgive him." Mary, Steve's second younger sister, said on the other end.

Steve sighed. He just couldn't get to her. Where had she gotten Her stubbornness from sef? "To err is human, to forgive is divine."

Mary changed the subject. "Are you staying at home for the Raul festival?"

Steve sighed again. "You know I'm not really into that festival thingy"

"Oh yeah. Forgot. But you are going to be home anyway, right?"Mary said cheerily. She didn't care if her brother was actually disappointed in her. She was also hurt.

"I don't know yet. Mary, I'll call you later, okay?"

"Okay. I love you" she said.
"I love you too, sweetheart, but God loves you more" Steve replied and ended the call. He sighed. He had been sighing a lot recently. Mary and all her wahala. That girl.

He looked down to his balcony as a figure captured his attention. It turned out to be a lady walking her dog. He could only see her profile. She was walking with grace and had a pair of headsets of her ears but beneath all that gracefulness of hers, Steve could sense edginess and vulnerability.

He watched her until she was out of sight. Steve sat back on the lounge chair. He wondered what was up with her and why she was so edgy underneath that happy, graceful facade she had on. Wait sef, how is this stranger my problem now? I seem to want to solve the world's problems.
But then Steve wanted to unravel her secrets, he had the urge to know her better. He closed his eyes. He wondered who she was. He sighed. Who knows, maybe he would be home for Raul festival after all.
****
The Okonkwos were all God-fearing people.

They were quite wealthy but they didn't forget their roots. Engineer Okonkwo, the head of the household came from an humble buy comfortable background and he instilled the fear of God in his household.

Mrs Okonkwo was a God-loving person and she joined hands together with her husband to instill the fear of God in their kids; Steve, Adaobi and Mary.

Steve Okonkwo gave his life to Christ in his secondary school fellowship when he was in his final year. Though he was not the disturbing type in school or at home, he didnt know Christ on a personal level. It was during the school fellowship that a pastor from an university fellowship made an alter call and Steve went out.

After surrending his all to the one who made him, steve felt unburdened and free. Steve set his priorities right and after sitting for WAEC, he had the best result in his region.

Adaobi was in SS1 at that time, she also surrendered her all to Christ after her brother did. She had easy admission into the university where she chose to study Food science. Adaobi loved cooking. It was the topmost of her talents and hobbies.

Mary was different though. She was happy for her siblings but she wasn't ready yet to make that commitment they made. Mary was in her second year in the university where she was studying Law. She was the type of girl that could argue someone's ears off.

She met Charles, a fellow course mate there and they became friends. Mary was late for class that day. Lateness was her weakness. She tip-toed into class and sat near Charles. The lecturer saw her but ignored her.

Immediately, Charles began to heave and sneeze. It was really loud and unbearable for the lecturer that he took his leave. The students turned on him and began to talk furiously.

Some stormed out of the class hissing angrily, some were just indifferent as they just picked up their phones and began to press it.

Amidst sneezes, Charles started to speak. "The perfume-" sneeze, "I'm-" sneeze, "sorry", sneeze, "it seems-" sneeze, "I'm allergic-" sneeze, "to something" sneeze, "in the perfume" sneeze.

Those who understood him asked which perfume it was. To worsen it, Mary moved closer and the perfume got to his nose again.

He started to heave heavily and he sneezed three times more. His eyes were watering and turning red. He pointed to Mary, "her-" sneeze, "her-" sneeze, "he-" sneeze, "her perfume".

He finally blurted out, ending it with another sneeze.

Mary was asked to shift away from him and Charles cooled down a bit. He shakily brought out his drug and used them, then he calmed. He was ushered back to his hall by people who felt sorry for him.

Mary was so embarrassed and she decided not to wear the perfume again. She caught up with him the next day. He raised his brows when he turned back and saw her. He opened his mouth to talk but Mary talked first. "I can assure you I am not wearing the perfume today or any other day, ever"

Charles just stared at her. "O-kay"
He said carefully. "Let me make it up to you" Mary said, interwining her fingers. "No, it's totally-" Charles started to object.

Mary interrupted. "Oh come on. I've got to make it up to you. When are you free?" Charles found himself answering, "this afternoon"
"Okay. I am free too. Can we meet at Coke Bar by 1:30?"
"Lets make it 2"
"Ok. No qualms. Dont disappoint me." Charles smiled. He had never met someone so bold. Mary moved back a bit. Charles turned to go.

"Hey." She called. Charles turned back, his eyebrow was raised in question. "Thank you." She whispered. Charles shrugged and whispered back, "you are welcome."
Mary's mouth curved into a slight smile. "Why are we whispering?" She whispered. "I dont know" charles whispered back. It was like they were lost in their own world. Mary laughed.

"I'll see you by two pm. Don't be late." Mary said.
"I should tell you that. You ladies take forever to get ready" Charles said and Mary rolled her eyes, smiling. "So you got me...see you later" Charles smiled too and went on his way.

That was how it began. Mary got to know they had lots in common and she discovered he had allergy for perfumes with flowery fragrances.

She thought it was weird.

.....
Please do tag your friends to read this story.
Don't forget to vote and comment.