21~Hot Slap

Kemi had to process what she had heard before it finally sunk in. "Pr.. Pregnant? For who?"
Bisi couldn't meet her gaze. She was shaking and nervous.

"P... Peter" she muttered out.

Oh Lord! No

"What? Peter?! Which Peter?!"

Bisi looked at Kemi's face which had tightened up in anger.

"Ohhh... Auntie.. No. Not your Peter. He is different. Ah no, not your husband ma. His name is Peter Coker." Bisi quickly defended.

Kemi visibly relaxed. She sighed heavily. Gosh!  She had almost had an heart attack thinking it was her husband.
"Bisi." she called.

Bisi was fiddling with her fingers. "M..ma?"

"Calm down. Turn off the cooker. I think the porridge is done already."

"Auntie... I....I didn't... We.. "

"Bisi, calm down. Come here." Kemi said, pulling Bisi into a hug. Bisi sobbed into her shoulders. When Bisi calmed, she began to speak.

"Auntie... I am sorry I disappointed you so much. I know you had high hopes about me... And... "

"shhh." Kemi chided.

"I feel so ashamed. Of myself.... Not my baby... I- I didn't even know I was already pregnant when Peter proposed last week."

Proposal?

Kemi's face showed her confusion.
"We have been dating for quite a while now and he proposed last week" Bisi clarified.

Kemi sighed. "Does he know you are pregnant now?"  How could I not have noticed that Bisi is pregnant? Was I too caught up in my own misery? Or have I forgotten what it means to be pregnant?

Bisi nodded. "I told him yesterday. He was ecstatic."

"How far gone are you?"

"Six weeks ma"

"Bisi, come here" The way Kemi said that made Bisi flinch. "Bisi come here. I'm not hurting you."

Kemi pulled Bisi into a hug and held her a little tight. Kemi sincerely didn't know what to feel. She was surprised, shocked, eager, happy, sad, disappointed even a bit jealous. Here is someone that is pregnant. Under my roof.

Bisi sobbed. Kemi gulped. "Bisi stop crying. Are you not happy about the baby?"

"I am happy. I just feel bad that I disappointed you and uncle."

Kemi sighed and rubbed Bisi's back. "Bisi, it's okay. It's done already. I am happy for you. You are gonna be a great mother. Mm.. But this Peter deserves some knocks... How dare he take you from us without our consent?"

Bisi chuckled. So you mean it's knocks, not accolades.
"what does he do?"

"He is an Engineer. He works with the state government."

Kemi nodded. She was happy that Bisi was in safe hands. "So what are your plans now?"

Bisi quickly divulged the plans she and Peter had made and while she was doing this, the front door opened and closed. Bisi peeped out. "uncle is back."

"Quickly dish out his meal. I'll serve him." Kemi said and left the kitchen.

The past days have been so cold. Peter would leave home early and return late. She was even surprised that he came home early.

"Welcome" Kemi said, forcing a smile. She noticed he was looking tired. "How was your day?" Kemi asked. Peter looked at her as if she had grown horns not breasts on her chest. "Fine" he answered tightly. Kemi knew he was lying. His day was far from fine, but what could she do?