Chapter 13 - The Serenity

After going through a onerous day at the office, he released a breathe of relief taking a seat in the car. "Oh Shit! Sanyukta ko bhi pick up karna hai." A total morning scene flickered in his mind.

"You are not coming to pick me up Randhir." She said limping out with a bandaged leg. "I am. Try me." He lifted her up in his arms. "What are you doing Randhir. This is office. What will my juniors think about me?" She hit with with her fisted palm. "Chodo mujh" before she could complete, she was thrown on a WheelChair. "I'm coming to pick her up and mind you, don't let her go alone" he warned the receptionist and moved away asking her to take care of his wife.

"Oh shit! I am damn late." He put his car on a spurt and instantly reached her place. "Sir, Ma'am left the office premises at 5pm itself." The receptionist quaffed her saliva looking at the exasperated young man staring at her fiercely. "Call her right now." He commanded her with a voice so intense that instantaneously made her dial her madame. "Ma'am.. S..Sir.." The receptionist quivered. The  handset was pulled by the man himself, "Where the hell are you Sanyukta ?" He asked her in a loud voice frowning. "Dont shout Randhir. I'm at the beach. You go home. I can manage." She replied calmly. He was able to figure out the excitement and cheerfulness in her calm voice. "Beach?" He asked her again confused. "Yeah. I'm having some work. You please go home." She instructed him and cut the call. "Beach mein kya kaam hai?" He spoke to himself muddled. " Let me see.." he steered to the place known for serenity, The Beach.

  After jostling through a group of semi dressed people, he finally took a glimpse of the newcomer of his life, his wife, sitting in the middle of a group of disabled kids, some with tubes and pipes in the noses, some with walking sticks, some on the wheel chair and some with hearing aids. He felt so pathetic looking at them but was overwhelmed looking at their happy tiny faces. He moved closer to take a clear look of the smiling faces. The water waves were drenching their feet. Sanyukta was laughing heartily at some joke holding the children's hands and they sat with their feet in the water forming a chain. The sight was pure in its own way.

  "Sanyukta.." he called her softly and she swiftly turned her head with eyes opened wide. "Tum yahan kyaa kar rahe ho Randhir. I asked you to go home. " She frowned dangerously. "I promised that I am not going anywhere without you." He sat next to one of the kids and she turned her face from him. He was still muddled up in confusion. "What is she doing with the kids. Who are they?" He sat there looking at her enjoying thoroughly with the kids but the previous glow was suddenly lost after his arrival. He felt an unknown feeling thinking that he was the reason of her fallen face. He moved to the nearby Ice cream vendor and bought numerous ice creams to indulge in their bubble of happiness. "Two for each." He smiled handing the kids the ice creams and they immediately hugged him. "Don't" Sanyukta tried to stop them from hugging him thinking that he won't like it all. His one black look was enough to shut her up. "Laura! Take them with you carefully. I'll come tomorrow" she instructed the janitor and came back to him after bidding adieu to the beautiful kids. "They look Indian Sanyukta.." he mouthed looking at her. "They are!" She turned her head sideways not wanting to let him know about them in detail. She feared his reaction. He kept his hand on her shoulders assuring her something through his eyes to which her inner mind came back to the normal state.

  "Why the devil is so calm today?" She tried to strike a conversation. He ignored her question. Her stomach growled expressing her hunger. She looked embarrassed. He sat there still laughing. "Stop Laughing. I'm going" She frowned trying to stand. "Baitho chup chap. I'll buy some food." He stood up and left. After finishing their food and lots of fighting in between they stood up to leave. She started limping but he caught her and supported her to move to his car.  "Kal no office. Ready rehna. We are going to the Doctor. " He commanded and she twitched her nose. "There is a word called 'Request' . Haven't you learnt that ?" She frowned. "Nope" He said and drove to their house. "Finally. So tired." He jumped on the bed and sat up again looking at her face. "Why are you making this bhayanak face?" He asked her. "Fresh up and then sleep." She twisted her lips. "Stop scaring me with your face Aggarwal. Get me coffee." He said wearily. "Request." She gritted her teeth. He sighed "Sanyukta Mate! Krupya mere liye Coffee banakar dijiye." She chuckled at his attempt. "Ab Doge Daadimaa ? He made a face. "Thik hai. Laungi" She laughed and moved to kitchen. "Sambhalke jana" he warned her and she looked at him for a moment and moved out. He closed his eyes feeling serene after years.

To be continued.