Chapter 5: The Taste of Snarky Bitch

Algophobia.

The fear of pain.

I wasn't scared of feeling pain, I've built up a sort of tolerance for it by now. I'd like to think I've worked my way around it, like how mice avoid cats.

I avoid pain.

That's why when I wake up in night terrors hysterically bawling, I get up quietly and remove myself from everyone's presence. It's better to keep things locked up then for someone to know and use it against me.

God know's they have.

• • •
"So he's been ghosting you?"

"He's obviously ignoring her."

"Lucy shut up."

"Bite me Abby."

"Sorry I don't eat shit."

"GUYS SHUT UP." I yelled placing my hands on the table.

"Why does Carson Parker matter so much? Why is everyone obsessed with him?" I said slugging back in my seat as everyone died down on me.

I'd been the one avoiding Carson.

Because as I said before I avoid things that bring me... well, you know.

"We're just confused that's all, I mean he told you he wanted to be friends with you on Saturday and you guys haven't spoke at all in the past 4 days." Abby said shrugging as she arranged her beads in order.

After my quick little breakdown last night, I realized two things.

1. I am never letting myself get in a position where I can be hurt again.

2. Carson Parker is not going to be my friend.

"You guys are blowing this way out of proportion, just forget it. Besides I'm already done with my necklace and you two haven't even started." I said looking down at my yellow and blue beaded thread necklace.

"These beads are so cheap." Lucy said looking disgusted at the pile of beads in the middle of the table. "How am I supposed to make this look good with my regalia clothing?"

"This is Arts and Crafts Lucy, not some School of Fashion Design in Milan." Abby said rolling her eyes in frustration.

Abby and Lucy were definitely not the best of friends when it came to our group, but I figured that would change before the summer was over.

I on the other hand was definitely not changing my mind this summer.

No Carson Parker.

                                 • • •

"Why don't you just try settling down?" I said finishing the rest of my popsicle. The popsicle was melting fast down my white shirt and it was not a classy sight.

Why did I pick banana.

"That's no fun little sis, I want to explore every fish in the sea like a sailor with limitless sails." Jackson said biting down on his popsicle. Every time his teeth came in contact with the ice I visibly shuddered, how his teeth weren't dying was a mystery.

"Don't get all poetic there shakespeare." I said throwing the wooden stick in the nearest trash can on our trail.

We decided on going for a night run but got distracted on cold flavored ice instead.

"Remember Cathy?"

"How could I not." The bitter taste of Cathy was forming in my mouth and it definitely wasn't a pleasant mouthwatering flavor.