The Fifth Britain: 5

'So,' I said, as Zareen strolled up a few moments later. 'I've lost Jay.' I had tried three times to call him, but he hadn't answered.

'Lost, how?' she said. 'Or do I mean, how lost?'

'I'd say he's the kind of lost that nightmares are made of, and I lost him because I let him go into Little Miss Makepeace's creepy farmhouse alone.'

'And she made off with him?'

'Correct.'

'Why did you let him go in alone?'

'Because he told me to wait.'

'And you obeyed?' Zareen was incredulous.

'For about three seconds, which turned out to be long enough.'

Zareen shrugged, splendidly unconcerned about Jay's abrupt disappearance. 'All part of the plan, most likely. Do you want to know what I found?'

'Is it something exciting?'

'Extremely.' Zareen's plum-painted lips wore a huge, satisfied smile.

But her revelation was forestalled, because we both became aware of a rustling noise emanating from somewhere among the trees where the house had so lately stood. It sounded like an animal rooting about among the bushes — a dog, I might have said, and was proved right moments later when a dog duly appeared. A small specimen, it had jaunty yellowish fur, an enormous nose (presently glued to the ground) and a tiny horn protruding from its forehead.

'Oh, there are more,' said Zareen, and went forward to meet the pup. Being a friendly sort, it greeted her with a cheery wave of its tail, though it did not seem disposed to lift its nose from the ground.

Zareen scooped it up, and held its little wriggling body close to her chest. 'I saw two back that way,' she said, pointing somewhere behind me with her chin. 'So, three? Reckon there are more?'

'Oh, my giddy aunt,' I groaned. 'Three more of the blighters?'

'Wouldn't be surprised if there are more than three. Miranda's going to die of joy.'

'And everyone else is going to run for the hills, taking their valuables with them.' My thoughts were in a flutter with so much happening at once; I took a couple of steadying breaths, and made myself think. 'Right. Call Home, and...' I stopped. Calling Home for back-up wasn't an option anymore. 'Call Rob,' I said instead. As I spoke, I dragged open the flap of my ever-present shoulder bag and hauled out my favourite book. 'Morning, Mauf,' I greeted him.

Mauf's pages riffled in greeting. 'Good morning, Miss Vesper. How may I be of assistance?'

'Quick job for you.' I stroked the rich purple leather of his covers. He liked that, and it always put him in a helpful mood. 'That bookmark looks great,' I added, for a little flattery never hurts.

The bookmark in question, a pure silk ribbon dyed majestic gold, fluttered coquettishly. 'Why thank you, Miss Vesper. If I may say so, you made a fine choice. What an eye for textiles!'

I may have preened a bit, too. Flattery works both ways. 'You shall have another sometime,' I promised him. 'For the moment, can you tell me if you have any information about one Mellicent Makepeace, of the Newmarket Makepeaces?'

Mauf went quiet for a moment. Presumably he was searching through his... memory? Records? It was hard to tell how it worked with him. 'There was a family of that name in the Newmarket area,' he confirmed. 'Is there any particular era of interest to you?'

'Eighteenth century?'

'Ooh,' said Mauf.

'You've found something?'