The Heart of Hyndorin: 21

'Welcome back, Ves,' said Milady a little later.

I'd been delivered up to her tower by my joint escort, and they had left me there for a no-doubt minute debriefing. I'd dived past my own room on the way up, and grabbed a summer dress out of my wardrobe, plus a pair of sandals. It wouldn't do to present oneself before Milady in nothing but a borrowed man's shirt. I'd also found my shoulder-bag lying upon my bed, with all my stuff in it. No Mauf, though.

'How long was I gone?' I asked.

'About three weeks.'

'That's... longer than I thought.'

'And how did you enjoy your sojourn among the unicorns?'

'It's like I was one of them.'

'Indeed.' The air sparkled with her mirth. 'Do you feel... in health?'

'You mean, am I still an out-of-control magickal fountain, causing chaos wherever I go? No. I think... I think I'm okay.'

And I was. I still fizzed oddly with magick from time to time, and I couldn't absolutely swear that weird things wouldn't happen around me once in a while. But I felt more... centred. Less like a storm in a teacup. More like the old Ves. Kind of.

My bond with Addie, formed through the unusual and unexpected expedient of adopting her shape, her lifestyle and her company for three long weeks, held strong even when I was back in my regular configuration. I felt it, close to my heart, an invisible link across which magick flowed like the cool waters of the lily stream.

'The Glade is a safe repository for the excess,' said Milady with approval. 'It is fortunate that you were able to bond with Adeline.'

'Fortunate,' I agreed, thinking of all the "fortunate" things that tended to happen around Milady. I hovered on the brink of asking her about my clairvoyance theory, and... didn't. Did I lack the courage?

Apparently.

'The lyre has been delivered back to your mother,' Milady continued. 'Jay has submitted a full report of its effects upon you. This is under investigation.'

'Great.'

'You may also like to know that Miranda is back with the Society.'

'Ah...?'

'She has not yet been restored to her former privileges and position, but I have hopes that this may come to pass in time.'

I said nothing.

'Do you disapprove, Ves?'

'I don't trust her,' I said bluntly.

'We will all need time to rebuild our trust.'

'Hmph.' I swallowed my disgruntlement, and set the matter aside. Milady, invariably, knew best. 'What about Torvaston's research?'

'Ah! Yes! You are all to be congratulated for such an exciting discovery. Your book — Gallimaufry — is with the library at present; Valerie is consulting him regarding the various records and copies he was able to make during your mission. Jay's pictures also. The Court, meanwhile, has been loud in its praise of you all. They are extremely pleased with the results you were able to produce.'

'Cool,' I said. 'And?'

'I don't precisely understand the question.'

'Are we building a new Heart of Hyndorin?'

'The Court appears to favour the term magickal modulator.'

'Snappy. How nicely it alliterates.'