Lollipops - Chapter 31

When classes were over, Naomi made her way to the library to study with Lily. When she arrived, though, she was pleasantly surprised to find that the girls were there too.

"Hey, Nomi!" Alice was the first one to catch sight of Naomi and wave her over.

Naomi's eyebrows pressed together when she heard the peculiar nickname, and she inquiringly glanced at Lily, who was muffling a giggle at Naomi's perplexed expression. Naomi cast her a playful scoff before she made her way over to the girls.

"Hey, Lily, Alice, Dorcas," she trailed off, just then noticing that Marlene was there, to her distaste. "Marlene," she finished.

Naomi internally shook her head at the mere sight of Marlene, but nonetheless took a seat in between Dorcas and Alice, setting down her bag and taking out her homework.

"Just a sec, you guys, I'm going to go snatch that book for my Transfigurations homework," Naomi explained, getting up.

"And I'm going to get that one Potions book, too. This textbook just doesn't suffice." Lily stood up too, heading off.

"Same, Lily," Marlene got up and followed after Lily.

Naomi headed in a different direction than them, but she didn't know that they were only one bookshelf behind her until they're hushed voices drifted into her ears.

"–bit peculiar, though, isn't it?" She heard Marlene ask Lily. Marlene's voice seemed casual and breezy, but Naomi could detect an underlying sense of eagerness and impatience in her tone.

"I guess so. Though, it really isn't in our place to probe around and question it." She heard Lily earnestly reply.

"I'd say otherwise," Marlene scoffed. "I mean, blimey, do you not remember that time in third year, when I brought my leftovers from breakfast into Transfiguration, and McGonagall gave me detention for a week? A week!"

"Well, to be fair, you brought a whole bagel into the class. She was bound to notice." Lily had replied.

It wasn't Naomi's intention to eavesdrop, but she would admit that she was curious to know what the girls were talking about.

"That doesn't matter," Marlene stressed. "It's everyday, that she's sucking on those bloody lollipops, and the professors never say anything about it! Don't you want to know why?"

It didn't take Naomi longer than a second to comprehend what Marlene had said. When she did, her mouth popped into an 'o' shape, and her eyebrows raised in surprise. They were talking about her?

"Yes, maybe I am a bit curious to find out why, but not to this extent. Everyone's accepted it, it's that type of thing you just don't question." said Lily.

Naomi couldn't see Marlene, but from her tone, she assumed that she had a sour expression on her face.

"Not to me. I want to figure it out,"

Naomi heard the two girls shuffling away, and she slowly backed away from the bookshelf.

She couldn't believe what she'd just heard. She'd known all along that Marlene wasn't to be trusted, but now she knew why; the girl wanted to find out her secrets. Naomi silently scoffed to herself, not believing that she was caught up in this foolish drama. She decided then and there that she would just go; leave the library and not come back, so long as Marlene was there. She did not wish to deal with this.