Lollipops - Chapter 32

A few seconds of pure and utter silence had passed since the night's revelation, and Naomi had said nothing to Drew so far. The moment that he'd shown her the dark mark on his wrist, a series of questions played out in her mind, such as 'when did this happen' or 'why has he become a Death Eater'. However, all she could find herself saying was—

"Merlin's beard." Naomi whispered in shock. Drew hastened to explain.

"Allow me to explain," Drew quickly said. "My parents... well, you already know that I come from a family of deep, royal purebloods. They have very strong beliefs, and they think that the Dark Lord will guide me down the right path. It was not my choice to become a Death Eater."

Naomi nodded slowly, processing what her ex was saying to her. With that, he continued.

"But then, over the summer, my mother found a letter that you had sent me. Your name was signed at the end of the letter, but she didn't recognize your last name and figured out that you weren't a pureblood. So, she told my father, and they forced me to send you a letter breaking up with you using some stupid excuse. Meanwhile, I never wanted to break up with you in the first place."

Naomi revelled in shock. This story was a huge surprise to her. Though, she was rather apprehensive about it at first, and she accused him. "If you were that desperate to continue our relationship, then you still could've contacted me. Maybe use your house elf, or send a letter in secret."

Drew frantically shook his head. "You don't get it. It wasn't that easy. My parents were watching my every move, and there was no way the house elves would ever defy them." He hastily continued, "But, anyways, I figured that, even if I didn't want to break up with you, it was still for the better, because I'd be putting you in danger."

"Drew, I would've understood," Naomi began softly. "But, why couldn't you have told me this before? In the beginning of the year? Why now?"

"Because," Drew stressed. "I was planning to stay away from you for your protection, but then, one day, I came across you and that Black boy on the Astronomy Tower. I started noticing that you guys were hanging out there every night together. It made me realize... I can't lose you. Not to Black, and not to anyone."

"Too late," Naomi said in disbelief. "You're telling me this now, just because you're jealous? Drew, don't speak to me ever again. I'm sorry, but I don't think that I could ever feel the same way about you again."

Naomi stood up from her seat, gathering her belongings and leaving. She couldn't stand to stay in the vicinity of Drew for any longer.

"You're willing to lose all this for a blood-traitor? Please, Naomi. What we had will never amount to these foolish feelings you have for Black!" Drew desperately pleaded.

Naomi turned around and coldly regarded Drew. "Sirius is 10 times the person you will ever be. Even though I like him, it's not your business."

With that, she closed the door shut, breathing harsh and swift. As she walked away from the room, her words that she'd spoken to Drew replayed in her head:

'Even though I like him, it's not your business...'. Suddenly, Naomi stopped walking.

'Even though I like him,'

Naomi's angry expression morphed into one of horror and confusion. She actually paused to ask herself, 'do I like Sirius?'. Even though she'd said that to Drew, she didn't really mean it, right? It was a spur of the moment kind of thing. Right?

Naomi nervously chuckled to herself, shaking off her bizarre questions. Yet, as she walked to the Ravenclaw Tower, a heavy, unexplainable feeling sat in her stomach.