Chapter 20

Emerald's POV

Yesterday was.. Whooo! Blake had 'proposed' really awesomely, and asked me to go to prom with him. Obviously, I happily agreed. Every time I was with him, I started forgetting that he was just my target for The Games. I kind of started forgetting about the games altogether, and treating this like it was real. 

I wondered if it was real for Blake. Could he really start falling for me? Or, was he just trying to get into my pants? Prom was in two or three weeks- Could he be planning to hump and dump me then?? 

All these questions were bombarding my mind as I walked towards my locker to take out my gym outfit. I was a natural worry wart, and I had to constantly remind myself not to make a mountain out of a molehill. I absent-mindedly opened my locker, and a hoard of tiny pieces of paper fell onto me. What was this? The Note Movement? I don't think so. "Screw the notes." I muttered to myself, and bent down to pick them up. I was about to stuff them into my pocket, when I noticed there was writing on it. 

'Be my prom date?'

Was it from Blake? I didn't really think he would do these types of things, besides, I had already agreed to be his date. Who else could it be from? Randy? I suspected the culprit was Randy, because everyone knew he liked me. 

"Blake, did you slip notes into my locker?" I asked Blake when I met him in the gym, and he shook his head confusedly. "Why?" He asked, grabbing my arm, and I kept mum about it. "I dunno.. I found papers in my locker. I think it's a prank.." I told him, and he nodded in understanding. 

"Students! We're going to play soccer today! Blake! Darren! Captains!" Coach Wilkins shouted at us, and we stood up straight as my boyfriend and bestfriend walked towards the front. "Pick your teams! Rock paper scissors goes first!" He yelled at them, and they hurriedly played that childish game. Darren had rock and Blake had scissors. "Em." Darren spoke smoothly, and Blake shot him a death glare. "I was going to pick her," I heard Blake talking through clenched teeth, and Darren shrugged, waving me forward. I slowly lined up behind him. 

The selections went fairly well, with Massie somehow ending up on Blake's team. More random names were called, and the queue got longer. "Team! Huddle!" Darren commanded, and we formed a tight oval, arms over shoulders. "Okay..." Darren blabbed on and on, and my mind went blank. I could only think of Blake's team trashing ours. Most of the sportsmen were on his team. 

I heard the whistle blowing, and we started running towards the centre where Coach Wilkins had thrown the soccer ball. Obviously, Blake's team got the ball first, and they were approaching the goalie. Fast. I was a sore loser, so I ran for my life, and jumped at the ball, trying to stop it from reaching the goalie. It felt  like it was in slow-mo, as the ball flew towards the goal, and I jumped high, trying to stop it. 

I somewhat did, with my head. I didn't know that they could kick so hard. My vision was blurry as I landed hard on the ground, and I faintly heard Coach Wilkins screaming 'Time Out'. My head was throbbing, and I longed to close my eyes. "Hey, Em. Keep your eyes open!" Blake howled at me, and I shakily moved my hand to hold his. "Good night, Blake." I smiled drowsily, before laying my head on the grass, out cold. Before I truly fell into my 'coma', I heard some scuffling, and a sound of something cracking.