Chapter 8

[Dedicated to @iceapple cus her comments are awesome:D]

"You look beautiful.. As usual, Em" 

My jaw went slack at that sentence. When did legendary player Blake Richards compliment random girls that "flirt" with him? Especially a random one that had slapped him about two days ago. And, he had told me that Willa was way prettier than me.

Maybe this was a trick? His apology had been a mean trick as well. I couldn't afford to let my guard down. I hadn't realised that Blake was getting annoyed because I hadn't gotten in the car after numerous failed attempts of calling me.

Finally, he couldn't take it anymore, and he stormed over to me and flicked my forehead. Hard. "Ouch!" I yelped, jumping back a metre rubbing my head. I quickly took out my compact mirror to see what damage was done. Nothing much, except for a red patch. "Ugh, idiot. I have half a mind not to go with you anymore," I threatened softly. It worked.

Blake's face flushed and he practically begged me to go with him. "Please don't sorry" He pleaded, giving me his puppy dog face. He looked cute. I pinched myself again. He was not cute. At all.

"Okay, get in the car, please?" Blake opened his convertible's door and I tried to slip gracefully into the passenger seat. Keyword: tried. Instead, I hit my head on the roof of the car, and clumsily fell into it.

"So, what movie are we watching?" I asked him while he sped to the movie theatres.

"Orphan."

Orphan. That one word practically made me freeze and I shuddered slightly, thinking of the past horror movies I had watched. To be honest, I was more of a sappy romantic-comedy person. Anything besides horror. It wasn't like I was scared or anything - Horror didn't appeal to me, and I usally would find myself falling asleep during a horror movie. "Um.. Do we have to watch that?" I asked him quietly, crossing my fingers behind my back. Please say no. Please. Please.

"Yeah, I love it!" 

Ah crap. Couldn't we watch Jack and Jill? Or something else? Apparently, not.

When we reached the theatres, we quickly rushed in and took a seat at the back. It had already started with the little orphaned girl, Esther, getting adopted. She was really cute, in a goth-emo way. The scary part hadn't started, and I was slowly drifting off to sleep. The movie theatre got darker and darker as the black edges finally took over.....

******************

"Wake up! Wake up!"  Someone was slapping my face kind of hard, but I didn't have the strength to open my eyes. The person got louder, shouting my name. "Emerald?!" I was getting pissed, but I was too lazy to open my eyes. That was a wrong choice. In a split second, I felt something cold travel from my face to the front of my shirt and onto my body. It was so cold! My eyes snapped open and I sat straight only to see Blake Richard's face. 

"Why did you pour ice cold water on me!" I raised my voice at him, and shot him my death glare.

"You fell asleep during the movie, drooled and snored," He sneered at me, looking pissed beyond belief, "You embarrassed the hell out of me!"

Damn Blake Richards, it was always about him. He didn't care about anyone; it was all just 'me, myself and I'. Ugh, idiot. "You know, the world doesn't revolve around you," I snapped at him, "Sometimes, other people matter too."

I got up from my seat and dusted my skirt. "I'll just find my way home myself," I literally barked at him, "Since you only need to care about yourself." Then, I hightailed out of there, and sprinted towards the entrance or exit of the mall. What I hadn't expected was the thunderstorm brewing right outside of the mall. I didn't have a coat or umbrella to shield me, and I didn't want to go back into the mall, so I may as well sit there and fall sick.

Sadly, my new "goal" to fall sick didn't last long. A few minutes later, the rain stopped falling on me. I looked up to see a black umbrella shielding me. The owner of the umbrella was Randy. He gave me a tired smile and I returned it with a strained one. I hadn't talked to him and had planned to avoid him because of that awkward incident.  

"Hey, let me fetch you home." Randy smiled at me, and led me to his Land Rover. I smiled at him discreetly- He probably forgot about The Incident already. I know I was acting like those girly girls, being like all so crazy over a small matter, but it couldn't be helped.

When I got home, Randy escorted me to the door step, like a real gentleman. He was so sweet, and I knew that if Blake wasn't in the picture, and I wasn't forced to make him fall in love with me, I would definitely give him a chance.

"Thanks for sending me home," I smiled at him when I was at my door step, and turned my back on him to try to unlock the door with my key, "I really appreciate it."

He shot me a look; It looked like he was longing to do something, or he was feeling nostalgic about something. Then, he mumbled a soft bye and walked back towards his car.

The next day, I wore a pretty outfit to school. Mom had laid it out carefully on my dresser before I woke up, and I'd put it on excitedly - it was really nice. It was a checkered red blouse, and I was supposed to wear it with a faded denim skirt. It wasn't too dressy, or too simple. Just perfect.

I was going to rant to Darren about my failure of a date, but apparently, when I reached the cafeteria, I saw him sitting next to someone I hated. My eyes narrowed quickly and focused on the both of them talking animatedly to one another.

Darren and Massie Chris.