CHAPTER 5

"She went in Axky. She went in alone---" said Paula frantically into the phone after she'd parked by Mrs. Harbody's house.

"Uncle Axky, there were plenty of teenage boys and they were scary." provided Jason.

"They puked on your car." said Gary smugly.

That got Axky to respond pretty quick.

"What?" he said finally. "Did you see which one attempted to destroy my car? I need him to clean up his own mess when he is sober. But then again, my poor car will have to wait that long to get clean. Maybe Kyle has a hose? But then again that kid who threw up needs a lesson on the importance of controlled drinking. Also that beer doesn't go with everything."

"Axky?" said Paula her voice dangerously low. "Our daughter is in that hell hole alone. So help me God, please worry about her first."

"Oh of course honey." said Axky sounding mollified. "I'm pretty close by actually. I have cctv footage of the party. You can drop the boy's off at Kyle's house and come over to house number 15 in the same street as the party. I've set up base here. Oh and Jack and Brielle are here with me."

"Mom's here!" exclaimed Gary. "Shit."

"language Gary!" reprimanded Paula.

"Um Aunt Paula, we're good here. We'll just stay with Kyle okay? Maybe even sleepover. Or stay the full week." said Jason as he and Gary darted out of the car and made to head to Mrs. Harbody's house.

"Why? What did you do this time?" wondered Paula as she followed them out.

Axky's laughter rang through his ears.

"Those little devils filled every lighbulb in the house with hydrogen sulphide pellets. So when Brielle switched on the lights this evening the house pretty much smelt like shit." He said merrily.

It was times like these that Paula was truly glad she had a calm and sensible daughter.

"So Ms. Smelly Cat and her harried looking husband are here with me. Anywhere is better than their house right now."

Paula laughed. How Axky came up with new nicknames everyday was beyond her.

"Well Brielle is a chemistry professor after all. It figures that Gary and and Jason would find some chemicals to mess around with." she said as the boys waved from Kyle's balcony.

She got back in the car and hurried along to meet her husband and their closest friends.

***

A popular rap song blared through the open doors and windows as Vicky approached. She couldn't believe it. Levi was there. He was literally only a set of stairs away.

She was finally here.

All of a sudden she felt insanely brave and confident. She threw aside her fear of closed gatherings, her detestation of alcohol and cigarettes, her phobia of socializing and who knew what else and barged right in through the front door.

And then in one single second she lost it all.

Teenagers were sprawled all over the house. Couples hung about by the sofa and the corners eagerly making out, while others chugged down ample cans of beer and glasses of a questionable variety of punch.

Open pizza boxes were scattered over what appeared to be a vintage dining table. Vicky internally winced at the sight of a girl wearing what appeared to be a bikini top and a mini skirt throwing up on the leather couch.