Chapter 33

Paramedics and firefighters had been searching for over ten minutes now.

"He said he was going in! Then the idiot jumped!" said David frantically pointing at a spot some distance away. "He was somewhere around here, God damn it, I swear he was right here."

The fireman frowned. All he saw at the location the boy was referring to was a raging fire. There was little chance that someone would survive if they voluntarily jumped into it. Nevertheless, the fireman called for help.

"Men, bring the hose over here!" Within seconds, a direct jet stream of water splayed itself over the area where the other boy was supposed to be.

The external flames flickered in defiance, gigantic shrouds of grey smoke releasing into the sky. Hopefully they would be able to rescue the kid before the smoke suffocated him. It was a few long minutes before the smoke cleared a little it could be seen that the water was raining down massively into what appeared to be a small cavity in the ground.

"Let's check inside!" called a fireman hurrying up in his fireproof vest. A couple of fire fighters put on a smoke filter mask and rushed to the site.

Jason and Gary stood far away, tucked into a safe corner by a tall tree. A couple of police officers kept watch over them as they observed the scene in front. They were still waiting for the policemen from Heckson street to arrive.

"Do you think Paula and Vicky are on their way?" asked Gary nervously biting his nails.

"I'm sure they are Gary." said Jason with a confidence he did not feel.

"Jason, I'm scared." murmured Gary reaching for his brother's hand. He looked far younger than his twelve years as fear etched his tired eyes.

Jason wanted to cry himself, but he knew that if he broke down, Gary would too. He squeezed his brother's hand reassuringly. "I know Gary. Don't worry I'm sure Uncle Axky and big brother Levi is okay. They'll make it. They have to!"

His voice broke a little at the end and was surprised when Gary wrapped him in a tight hug.

"Hey Jason," whispered Gary. "You know, it's okay to cry."

Jason nodded in the embrace. His eyes gave way and he cried onto his brother's shoulder, soft sobs punctuating the crackling fire in the distance.

***

For a moment he was certain that Axky was dead. His hands and legs were bound by a thick rope, and his skin was pale. He was bleeding profusely from the back and it looked like he had been stabbed. But he couldn't be sure of what he saw.

It was chaotic inside the cellar, with debris and flames populating the small space. Black smoke curled around the low ceiling looking for an escape. As every moment passed there was a growing danger of death by lack of oxygen. This was not the place to check for a pulse or heartbeat, not to mention they were quickly running out of time.

He hauled Axky's dead weight body over his shoulders and started to climb the makeshift ladder. The wood was cracking in the fire and it was mere seconds before it started to turn to ash. And when it did, he could no longer climb it.

The smoke kept getting thicker as he dizzily inched closer to the top. His arms ached  His neck and arms were covered in splinters and hot ash, but he shielded Axky's face with his chest as best as he could.

Suddenly there was wetness over his head. It felt like rain and he rejoiced inside. Perhaps there was a storm outside, a storm strong enough to douse the rampaging fire. Or maybe this was how you entered the afterlife. Through a world of fire, smoke and hurricane.